Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Roster Limit   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
What if you just always stay at 49 players...wouldn't you effectively have all the things you want?

Steve
inhaleabattle

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

What if you just always stay at 49 players...wouldn't you effectively have all the things you want?

Well, of course that would work. And it'll probably be how I operate while the system is as it is. I'm just saying that the current roster limit is fifty and if we decide to take full advantage of the league's guidelines, then we're penalized by not having opportunities to do some of the things that teams with <50 players are able to do. If we keep a 49 man roster, then we're pretty much still being penalized with one slot that has to remain open at all times.

The thing is.. It just makes sense and it it makes sense, I'd think an implementation should be considered. If it's a huge task or would take a lot of tweaking the current system, then I get that.. But would just like some sort of admin feedback rather than a "Just keep 49 players".
Mig2012

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Steve, I get where you're coming from. I mean, why so much fuss about it if keeping a 49 player roster solves the problem?

Thing is, even if we try to keep a 49 player roster, sometimes you sign someone during the week, and then you're not sure who do you get rid of to make room. It drags until Friday, and then you're like "Hmm, I bet my draft will suck again this week, but you never know". Then you release one player you liked to open a spot, and the draft does suck, and that is frustrating.

If there was an easy way for people to have a look at the weekly draft without having to downsize to 49, I think some of us would be happier. For instance, it would be nice to keep a 50 man roster after the market closes, and keep checking the draft to see if something interesting pops, which most likely won't happen in the last weeks of the season, but still, it would be nice to check it out.

Now, the waiver issue I mentioned is a whole different thing because when you make the claim you don't have a full roster, and if you make several claims, you risk having your team skipped over in case you win more than 1 of those claims.

This is bad, because, just like in baseball, sometimes luck comes in streaks, and you can't take advantage of it if your team is skipped in case your roster gets filled with the first waivers you won.

This system makes people hold on to their claims. I mean, if, at the same time, there are both great players on waivers and average ones, some teams may decide not to claim the average ones in fear of failing to get the great ones because the last spot of roster may get filled with one of the average players.

This not only cripples the whole claiming system but sometimes makes teams release even more players they like from their roster just to make more room in case they win more than 1 waiver, and if they win none, which is the most common scenario, they're going to be crying all those players released for nothing.

This usually happens when there is abundance of waivers in the market, in the first weeks of the season or when someone dumps the whole team on the market, and these are important moments for teams, so they should be able to claim freely every player they could use without any kind of fear.
Krakonico

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Let me see, you say that teams that have less than 50 players are in advantage than teams with 50?

So a team with less than 50 isn't penalized? You can have a full 30 major league players plus 20 minor league players. A team with less players have to still look for that player if some of their key player is injured or get too old.

If you have a 'bad' player you still can drop him and get someone either the waiver claim (if you are luck enough), the free agency or a new rookie. A team with less players, <40 has to keep their 'bad' players until they can find someone, and still have to keep them until they are near 50.

With a team with 45 to 50 players a manager has the advantage to scout the entire free agency pool, the new players pool and the waivers to get 'that' player he/she is looking for.
tc_ferdzz

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
i would think, even when a team has a full roster, they can still see what players are available to sign/draft.
Like in the MLB, just because you don't have the first overall pick doesn't mean you can't look at all eligible draftee's and see who you'd want to pick if you were picking first.
And so, with a full roster, you SHOULD be able to look at the weekly pool, and the free agents, but can't draft a player until you drop someone.
But i think the waiver should remain the same, if you don't have a spot, you can't receive a new player, therefore, the waiver would skip over you to the next lucky contestant.
Mig2012

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thing is you DO have a spot when you make the claims, or you wouldn’t be able to place them in the first place, so you should be eligible for all those claims.

I mean, if you were told in advance “Hey, you’re going to win 2 waivers, make room”, teams would be able to adjust and release enough players to accommodate the new ones. Problem is, after you make the claims, it’s out of your control.

If the current system allows teams to experience a bad streak when they aren’t winning any waiver, it’s only fair that the system allows lucky streaks as well.
Krakonico

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
If you have one, two or three spots when you put 100 claims, the rules say that if you reach the limit of your roster then you won't get that player past the limit. It's simple and fair, so other teams with open slot can get that player, is luck and a lottery, you can't win all. The only way I can see it would happen is if the roster limit is set at 55 or 60, but then again when teams have reach that limit the same issue will arise again "let us sign that player because we had one spot and got two or three claims, and those are MY players, and I don't care of the 100 other managers who also claimed them.". Simply "NO".

---

Now, the draft thing, I can concur that you could see the scout report before making a space, that way you can know if you can drop a player or not if you are at the limit.
Mig2012

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
You obviously don't understand what I'm talking about.

I'm glad others are starting to understand though. It means there's still hope for you, hehe.

Krakonico

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
You are talking about if you have at least one spot open when you make a claim, but it got filled or you do happen to have the luck to win two + claims (which you don't know if you really won those), your team will be able to keep those claims.

The claim system is working fine, you can have luck, you can have it at all.

If you feel you would win a claim, just do as the rest, drop a player to make room, and don't sign a free agent or a new rookie if you are near the limit.
Mig2012

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I know very well how the system works, that's why I can see where it could be perfected.

Previous Page | Show All |