Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Golden Free agents   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
wsb81

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Hi crackit, you said "I plan and prepare" and this is exactly what I miss in this game. I can plan, but I can't prepare. I know what I'm missing in my team, but I can't get it. Not through waivers (unless you are lucky enough), not through drafts (unless you are luck enough), not through the development of a farm system.
I'm sure I could do better with my team, but my point in not my actual roster. My question is: how will my roster be in 2-3 seasons if I do not get enough good young players? And, as I said many times, I do not have any way to influence the scouting system. Let's put it this way: I want to develop young pitchers, I need them. Every friday I have to choose among 1 or 2 pitchers and 3 4 NP. But I'm not interested in them, I look for pitchers. On the other side, two weeks ago I drafted a good 1B, but I wasn't looking for one. I drafted him, I'm keeping him, he should develop to a good player; in other words I was lucky!!! This is how it works.
Do you agree with the points I posted some hours ago? Those explain perfectly my view and the things that I do not like.
But I want to make clear once again that I really enjoy the game.
I'm just saying that some points have to be improved, in my opinion.
I said: I don' like 'point1', 'point2', ...
Would it have been better if I had said: Everything is perfect but something could be even more perfect?
tc_ferdzz

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
but all drafts are a bit of luck when you think about you...sure you can do all the scouting and prep work you want...but one knows how the player will turn out...there's been several high draft picks that have gone no where as well as some late draft picks that have gone on to great success...

it's hard when looking for specifics in the draft...once your team gets better, you just basically draft the best prospect you can out of the 5 available...if it's a NP...you can switch his position to better suit his skills or your needs...and over a couple of weeks with 3 or 4 drafts...you should be able to see 1 or 2 good pitchers...

as people of said...it can be a lengthy process, you just need to have patients for a few seasons and before you know it, your team will start getting stronger...

i try to build through the farm team in Hattrick too...i find that my prospects rarely get good enough
crackit

Anchorage Lawless
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
wsb81 its not your points you make but the conclusion you draw from them. It comes across as a defeatist "I can't do anything about it".

Look at the Legends division I am in and you will see six teams who have managed to do something about it and they should be an encouragement to all new players that your team can climb the ladder and make it to the top.
  • Oceanview City were in V.3 in season 2009. They have won four titles in six years to make it here
  • Eugene, V. in 2011, four titles in six years
  • San Francisco, VI.6 in 2006, five titles in ten years
  • Queens, VI.9 in 2008, six titles in nine years (Legends Champion)
  • Thunder Bay, VI.19 in 2009, six titles in eight years (reigning Legends Champion)
  • My own Applewood Crosssing were in VI.30 in 2010 (I picked them up in 2013), but between us five titles in seven years got them to the top table

I don't know how the other teams achieved their success; they may all have been "lucky" but I very much doubt it. They have operated in the same system as everyone else and found ways to win.

I think financial and contract management are a part of the game that could be expanded and I would enjoy, but I get the impression that it is not something that a broad base of the brokenbat community want. There appears to be a greater interest in management rather than ownership.

That being said I think game gives the opportunity for new players to build a successful franchise but it requires some thought, persistence and patience.

I don't regard myself as anything special but I have been here less than a year and won three titles in four seasons. I did this by following the game strategy in the manual, by continually strengthening both my major and minor league squads, signing good oldies, spotting good youngsters, developing them, being patient withh my players (to see how there numbers pan out over time), scouting the opposition to see what works for them and using the rotation, lineup and management to get the best out of what I've got.

This is nothing that anybody else can't do.

So if you have a team in the lower leagues I encourage to keep at it, I hope you enjoy it and that your efforts will ultimately be rewarded.
Soccer

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
wsb81,take my team for example.I saw my team decline in 2014.

In 2015,I went 51-109,but then I looked at pitching and players that were undeveloped.I signed Alonzo Montes that season knowing he would come up next season.He was 24 when I signed him.

Going into 2016,I signed some more pitching and some other players to replace my other players that weren't doing well.The team went 102-58 last season.

So what I'm saying,you don't need waivers.I got this team to first place last season with some free agent acquisitions.Only had one waiver claim for an outfielder.I also looked at prospects that season.Rebuilds can take you a while or just one season like mine did.

Here is my team: http://brokenbat.org/team/244
Erkuza

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Some advice I have for people is to not pay attention to the SI when looking for free agents. Instead focus on their hitting attributes which is the best way in knowing if they will be successful in your league. The SI can be inflated if a players has a high stealing or fielding attribute. I believe this is also the reason why pitchers on average have a lower SI than position players.

Updated Sunday, March 30 2014 @ 9:24:36 am PDT
msigg6

Bay City Lions
IV.6

Broken Bat Baseball
Well I've been in this game long enough. I've gone through the old waivers system and the new ones. I'd hve to quite say it's pretty fair, saying this to all you whiners about the waivers system.

Sure, some people didn't like it. But I've come to my senses that it was a good solution for the game's future. How would you like 1 guy just standing on the PC all day and getting every single good free agent? That wouldn't be fair isn't it? That's why waivers are a good idea. They give everyone a equal chance.

Now on to some advice. I've been runner ups in Legends for idk how long, so obviously something is working.

When you go into draft, I find getting the youngest and most potential the best way to go. If you have a 17 yr old pitcher with "good" and a 18 yr old OF with "very good" I would choose the pitcher anyday. Take the risk of low SI, train the guy up and maybe he will pan out. Many people forget that the potential and SI is one thing; but work ethic is another. Players with better work ethic will develop faster then other players. Some are meant to be baseball players some aren't. http://brokenbat.org/player/61780

for example. I would think his SI and potential have some good showings. But look at his hitting and power. Just wouldn't even touch a ball. Had no future, i cut him. Every time Friday comes, I have to make a decision on who to cut. Just this week I got this guy
http://brokenbat.org/player/86131 in exchange for cutting this guy
http://brokenbat.org/player/42050
Yes, I took another risk. It paid dividends and now I have a awesome prospect in exchange for a aging rotting player.

I take this game as a risk standpoint. Go big or go home. I waiver the young players to act as a safety net so when I don't get that beast 100 other teams are claiming, I have a backup plan. http://brokenbat.org/player/85475
got this guy while everyone was going for 106 SI Pierce (who gone to Kingston just today) and other SI beasts. Yes I waivered those guys just so maybe i could win the lottery. But then I got myself a backup plan and got me a young pitcher that could turn out well. Not a single person waivered this guy but me. I'm not afraid to take on the risk.

Like I said, this game is all about risks as well. If you don't take risks you're not gonna go anywhere. Because every potential star player is a risk if his work ethic is of the likes of a bum. But then there are the hard workers that will be getting to the big leagues.

I've put my 2 cents in.
billy123

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I agree completly that the current waiver system is loads better than the old one.

There are occasionally really great players available, I've only ever signed one of the 'golden free agents' I've put a claim in on. As far as i'm concerned thats great. I'm not relying on them to improve my team ( and wasn't 5 seasons ago either) They are a bonus if you sign them, and if as a team you are relying too heavily on signing players to make instant impacts then you are in trouble. Like has been said before, go and find young players with great potential and over a few seasons as long as you keep your minors stocked up you'll have a good team.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I just started last week and I've won almost a third of my waiver claims so far. Most were under 21 with very good overall potential. There were only one or two claims put on them. So, my chances were pretty good. I did get a few talented, mature players that way as well. Those had many more claims, so I kept my expectations low and was pleasantly surprised when I got them. I'm really enjoying this game so far. Plenty of detail to get into :)
crackit

Anchorage Lawless
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Welcome and good luck
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks crackit. It's going to be a long time before I put a winning team on the field, but I enjoy rebuilding projects.

Previous Page | Show All |