Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Pitchers have Good Zones and Bad Zones?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
msigg6

Bay City Lions
IV.6

Broken Bat Baseball
You might wonder why I ask this, well here is my reason:

Last year my pitcher Prince Bonner had a 3.12 ERA, decent i shall say. But now this year, he has a whopping 0.59 ERA?!?!?!?!?!?

Yes I know its beginning of season but still, this brings me to question: DO pitchers have slumps? And do Pitchers have a stud year?

admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
There is not a mechanism that specifically creates slumps and hot streaks, but the general randomness of baseball seems to do that pretty well by itself.

Steve
crackit

Anchorage Lawless
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
My understanding is that this would reflect the statistical view of player form, which is that it is subject normal variation not peaks and troughs of form.

From An Introduction to Sabermetrics

Streakiness?
Another interesting question is on the existence of streakiness in hitting data. During a season it is observed that some ballplayers will experience periods of ``hot" hitting where they will get a high proportion of hits. Other hitters will go through slumps or periods of hitting with very few hits. But these periods of hot and cold hitting may be just a reflection of the natural variability observed in coin tossing. Is there statistical evidence for a ``hot hand" among baseball hitters where the probability of obtain a hit is dependent on recent at-bats? Albright (1993) looked at a large collection of baseball hitting data and used a number of statistics such as the number of runs to detect streakiness in hitting data. His main conclusion was that there little statistical evidence generally for a hot hand in baseball hitting.

California

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
My ace pitcher,Ryan Brock is in a bit of a slump.His ERA is near 4 and is 4-3.Will he improve his stats over the season?

Here he is:http://brokenbat.org/player/59342
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
I don't think the last 3 seasons were a fluke -- he looks like a pretty good pitcher. Keep in mind though, you're in League III now, so the competition is tougher.

Steve

Previous Page | Show All |