Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> bot teams overpowered?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
shikago

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm 33 games over .500 , yet only have a 2 game lead over a super-bot team. The top 2 teams in the other division are both bots...
In contrast, human teams don't seem to be doing well at all. Only 1 other human in the league even has a winning record. The winner of both divisions last season were bot teams as well.

I guess just wondering if bot teams are supposed to be this much better than human teams? (Maybe I'm just used to BuzzerBeater where bot teams are made to be bad... out of position players, weak rosters, etc.)
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Bots are quite a bit different in Broken Bat than Hattrick or BuzzerBeater. Unlike those games where bots are populated with entry level players, bots here will act more like human managed teams, in that they will train, sign and cut players and play a rational lineup. Overtime, human managed teams should out build and out managed bot teams, but the bots aren’t necessarily pushovers.

In terms of your league, some of the human managed teams were only taken over recently, so their records aren’t a real reflections of the managerial skills of the managers.

Not sure...do you think strong or weak bots is better? One of the reasons initially that I made bots stronger was that there weren’t a lot of human managers at the time. Now, perhaps we should diminish them a bit?

Steve
shikago

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Well it does make things more interesting with bots being strong! Definitely the right move when there's not many human managers. Honestly, it's probably still fine as is.

Personally, I think a middle-ground would be ideal. Where bots aren't awful, but are a *little* more easily beaten. Not sure how to accomplish that. Possibly limiting bots' salary more than it already is? Maybe making their salary based on league level too. (giving league VI bots far less total payroll to work with than league II for example.)

A benefit of slightly weaker bots would be more humans promoting out of the lower leagues faster. And ending up in leagues together.

Training minor-leaguers is a long term project of course. And there's far less difference making free agents than even a couple months ago. (Only so much that managerial settings & lineup changes can do.) So it seems really hard to compete with a stacked bot team in a reasonable amount of time.

Of course new managers can take over stacked teams themselves, haha. But guessing at least some do like i did, taking a team based on the city name (since can't relocate)
tc_ferdzz

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
i like having stronger bot teams...
it was a good point about making em weaker so that the human players all get promoted faster so that there is more "all human" leagues...
but at the same time...turning a team into a winning...championship team is not an easy task...just ask the Blue Jays...or Nationals...and so i like the stronger bots...it makes it a challenge...you don't just plow through all the bots to the higher levels...and the greater the challenge...the greater the satisfaction of winning...
KennyTime

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Agreed I am excited to make my way through the leagues bot or not... look out babay cause its Kenny Time's Time! We comin for you!
Paul_G

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I would hate it if bot teams WEREN'T strong.

As long as AI teams are subject to the same rules and limitations as we are and have access to the same pool of players, the AI should play their teams as well as they possibly can. Don't weaken the AI.

IMO a human player should be able to manage his team a little better than even great AI. I've never seen a GM sim where AI really rates against a human player that is trying. They get great teams once in a while but the human player usually prevails in the end.

OP, the AI is making your season more interesting, right? It would be boring if you ran away with the division.
Minnie Miñoso

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I agree with keeping the bots strong.
shikago

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

OP, the AI is making your season more interesting, right? It would be boring if you ran away with the division.

perhaps. but it would be more interesting being in leagues with active human teams. and also be more interesting if the default settings weren't so ideal. in fact i'd bet the vast majority of human teams use default managerial settings. or pretty close to it. i don't see how that's a positive in any way.

@Paul_G & @Minnie Miñoso
fair enough. but you realize the consequence of that is new teams languishing in bot/inactive leagues? (vs. competing in leagues against other active *human* teams) is that really your preference?

admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks...for all the input.

BTW, Minnie Miñoso is a great username from a really exciting player from yesteryear.

Steve
Minnie Miñoso

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm Cuban, so I'm very familiar with all the great Cuban players of today and of yesteryear Steve.

I'm currently in a league with only one other human. It's a pretty bad team and I don't see myself advancing any time soon. That's not a problem for me, this is baseball, not Counter Strike. What is a problem though is the rate of player acquisition. My team has only 40 players out of 50, including a couple of 35 year old ones and a handful of 30+ guys. On top of that I changed managers while fooling around not knowing it would cost me my weekly pick.

I don't mind battling the super bots to advance, but it seems a new owner should at least be able to fill out his team quickly and the one-a-week rule should apply only to full teams and/or teams that have had a full season under the current manager.

Great game, hope it lives a long time.

Previous Page | Show All |