Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> what do you think of Broken Bat?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
There is one aspect I'd like to bring up that I think hasn't been mentioned yet:
I really love the no-frills, html-based user interface we have here. No flashy flash nonsense, very limited use of scripting... that makes the whole game nicely platform-independent. _Please_ keep it that way. Don't let anyone tell you it looks or feels outdated. I'm also playing goalunited, which depends heavily on flash, and most of its inputs are drag-and-drop, which is hell to use on a smartphone, even a very good one. The positive side-effect we have here is, as long as the page is technically so simple, there will never be a need for a "mobile version".

Steve, your comments about money are putting my mind at ease a little bit, but just a little. I'm always a bit wary of internet projects that obviously cost server bandwidth and developer money while generating no visible revenue. Quite frankly, I'd rather look at some reasonably placed advertisements now than be asked to pay a monthly fee a few seasons down the road when I've developed my team and gotten used to the surroundings and it would be a grievance to leave - but be assured, leave I would.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
The problem with advertising is that I don’t think you make that much money on it. If advertising revenue was going to be profound…I might consider it. But to pay some faction of the server costs to give up a large chunk of your site page to display…it just doesn’t seem like a worthwhile trade.

Steve
Outfielder

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I've only been playing a week, but so far I like it a lot: clean, simple to use, no free-to-play but pay-to-win tactics by a greedy company, nice!

As far as the opening comment goes, I think that while the 'problem' of finding the future superstar may be frustrating, it is also very realistic. There are very few 'sure things' in baseball as far as young players becoming superstars is concerned. Most youngsters that get drafted DON'T pan out. A lot of them turn out to be big disappointments, get hurt or are simply unlucky when it really matters. It's part of the game in real life, it should be part of the game in this game. It's maybe a bit easier to deal with when you are a romantic by nature tho..... :-)
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Broken Bat deviates from a lot of other games in that not every player can become a super star. In fact, most prospects will likely never make a significant contribution to a franchise. But this is closer to real life…only the stars of one level are decent players at the next level.

Only a few little league stars will be good high school players. Only a few high school players will play minor league or college ball. And only a few of them will ever make it to the big leagues.

In a number of other games, you can pretty much train any player into a decent player (although there are usually better prospects and worse ones). Usually skill levels are used to determine wages and thus talent level is capped by how much total salary a team can afford.

Steve
cbstatic

North El Dorado Pay Dirt
VI.20

Broken Bat Baseball
Yes, I am new here... Joined up in April...

I didn't do much with the North El Dorado team as they were winning & did win their particular league this year...

Broken bat definetly reminds me of Strat-o-matic. I have dabbled with Stratto on and off over the past 15 years.

Although the team & player management are simular, breaking down the lefty / righty matchups are definently a challenge. With Stratto you have a player / pitcher card to view to assist you in making your lineups. Yes, the results are still randomized via the dice throws but you have an advantage on determining your on base chances.

From what I have seen with Broken Bat is you don't have the opportunity to make those kind of choices. It's all about checking the players history, training & skill building.

I do like the fact there is a minor league system, player continuity and the challenges of building your team while maintaining success.

One thing for sure, there is alot to learn and adjust to here.

One last thing, for those that may be interested. Life here in Amarillo is great. But we sure could use some rainouts.....
Jalapeno5

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Well - just completed my first partial season in charge of Richmond and scraped second place in my division; looking forward to trying to improve on that next year from the start, with a bit of ownership experience and a rebuilt squad.

Gotta say I love this game - cheers Steve... bring on 2019!
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Just finished my second losing season. I joined Broken Bat at the very end of last season, so this was my first real go-around. It's a challenge trying to build a major league team with waiver claims for sure. Much easier to put talent in your minors through free-agency though, so the future should be bright even if being demoted again stings and my draft picks have mostly been less than great.

It's a testament to how well done this game is that I've only ever had a last place or next to last place team with no shot at winning anything and I'm still excited to log in and see scores and waiver claims every day. I can't wait to get "my" guys into the majors and follow their careers one game at a time. I've played a lot of online sports sims and I honestly can't say I've ever had that feeling with any of them except this one. Thank you for the great game Steve o/
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I've been here for a handful of weeks and think this game is really pretty good. I think what makes it good also is what makes it bad.

First of all, it takes awhile to get a basic understanding of the game. After about a month I realized my team had no long term potential and I had to tear my team apart.

I've been trying to figure out the best way to rebuild quickly. I like the minors and development aspect of brokenbat. I think it's what sets this game apart from others.

But it also is what hinders the game. I know I'll blunder through it and make plenty of mistakes. I don't mind that at all. What sucks is I fully expect it to take at least six months to get a decent team on the field. That's frustrating. And most people won't suffer through that long period of time of mediocrity or worse, so they ditch the game. I'm going to stick to it because I see the potential of this game down the road, but most simply aren't patient enough to hold out for the long haul.

Updated Thursday, September 25 2014 @ 9:28:21 am PDT

Updated Thursday, September 25 2014 @ 9:29:53 am PDT
Jalapeno5

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
It does indeed take a little while for a team and a strategy to come to fruition, but for me that's one of the things I really enjoy. There's plenty of games out there baseball related and otherwise that offer instant gratification in terms of immediate consequences for your actions, but it's refreshing to find something that rewards dedication and patience.

Some of the things I love about baseball are the history, the stories, the stats and the records - which is why I'd love to see the hall of fame implemented (I know that's in the pipeline), as it can be as much fun to look back as forward. Enduring success and mythology don't come overnight; and I think if you increase the pace, you increase the throughput of players which is already much higher than MLB, and everything becomes a bit too transitory as a result.

Granted a lot of owners will fall by the wayside due to the current speed, but if it's not for them it's not for them, no harm done - but there's evidently plenty of folk that are enjoying the game at it's current pace. Just my two-cents as always. :o)

Jason2327

Abilene Patriots
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
been here just over a month myself I believe and love it.have always liked the whole building a team concept.some minor things I would change but nothing extreme enough to make me wanna leave.I just like having a way to engage my mind to pass time,though with free agency shut off now I can't look for anymore hidden gems lol.

Previous Page | Show All |