Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Opinions on this tactic   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Kabloomey

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I thought up this idea to have at least one good hitter every inning. Assuming every team has at least four hitters that are pretty good.

Best- 3rd
2nd Best- 6th
3rd Best- First
4th Best 9th
5th Best 4th
6th Best 2nd
7th Best 5th
8th Best 7th
Worst 8th.

Or something like that.
That way if you are in a tight spot in the next inning you have at least one reliable hitter.

Updated Friday, January 24 2014 @ 6:24:55 am PST
Randy Bobandy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Guess it depends on what you mean by "good" and "reliable" hitters.

I generally like to have guys that get on base/decent average followed by guys with power to drive them in, a traditional line up.

Also, I find it more sensible that you have your best hitters higher in the order to maximize their at at-bats. No sense in putting a guy in the 9 hole if he's a good hitter to have one per inning if chances are he might not get at bat buy having a lesser guy in front of him.

Bottom line, you want your best hitters getting as many at-bats as possible, in my opinion anyway.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
I think most batting order studies have suggested the best strategy is to group you best hitters together and towards the top of the order.

However, you are free do experiment.

Steve
Crunchtime

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
https://sites.google.com/site/winningbaseballstrategies/
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Hmmmm...does he really address how to factor in OBP and power? What if you have a team of .275 hitters but with varying OBP and power numbers?

Steve
Crunchtime

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
He seems to infer it but I couldn't tell ya. The difference is only a single game per year so it doesn't seem to have a huge impact.
curtisp5286

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
There isn't really one correct answer to this batting order question. However there are some general ideas that hold true.

-The guys at the top of your order get the most at-bats so you want them to be your best hitters.

-You want the players with the highest on base percentage hitting at the very top of the order.

-Your worst hitters should bat in the very bottom of the order.

The order in which the hitters come to bat might not be as important as you think. The difference between the most efficient and least efficient combinations will cost you something like 3-5 wins per year.

Personally, I like this theory. http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2009/3/17/795946/optimizing-your-lineup-by

Curtis P

Updated Saturday, January 25 2014 @ 9:00:55 am PST
Crunchtime

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I am a fan of having someone who isn't a good hitter but has high plate discipline and speed hitting #9 as a proxy leadoff hitter. Given the leadoff guy should have a pretty good hitting ability regardless, it gives you an extra chance for a fast baserunner for the #2 and #3 spots.
curtisp5286

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Crunch, In some ways that does make sense. I think most research suggests that a guy like that may be better off hitting like 6th, in front of your hitters with less power.

That way when he gets on base, if he is able to steal then your crappy hitters at the bottom of the order just need to hit a single for him to score.

Stolen bases are most valuable in front of hitters with no power.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Crunchtime - I believe Tony LaRussa experimented with hitting the pitcher 8th and a "better" hitter in the 9th position. Kind of for this reason. In baseball though, traditions die hard.

Steve

Previous Page | Show All |