Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Overmatched?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
curtisp5286

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I totally agree with Steve.

I will also say that the "overmatched" note in the scouting reports is just there to tell you that the player would develop a little faster at AAA than the majors. For players who are almost fully developed, like your two guys here, that does not matter much though. It does not significantly affect performance. It may have some small affect. I can't be sure. Steve has to try to keep some secrets, haha.

I would not worry about either of those two guys. I would play them both in the majors as much as I could. I wish I had them on my team. Don't worry about that bad start. I think it was just a fluke.
Crunchtime

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I was just curious. Marks is 'supposed to be' in AA. Was wondering how the system figures that message and if there was any real performance penalty added in for playing above your pay grade, so to speak. I'm good with the explanation.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
It’s the same message regardless of how many levels above recommended he’s playing. There is not a performance penalty, but presumably the players skills aren’t fully developed, so he wouldn’t play as well as if he were "big league ready".

Steve
Crunchtime

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Got it. More of an advisory thing than 'you should not be here, therefore thou shalt suck'.
Geech

San Luis Obispo Turtles
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
Would promoting a player too soon potentially limit his overall skill development? IE, is getting the recommended level of minor league training more beneficial than the big league playing time?
lephio

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
what's the minimum "AB" and "IP" to say sample size is quite ok?
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Would promoting a player too soon potentially limit his overall skill development? IE, is getting the recommended level of minor league training more beneficial than the big league playing time?

Players promoted earlier should eventually get the rest of their training in the big leagues. But it wouldn't be as fast as if they had stayed in AAA.

Steve
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
what's the minimum "AB" and "IP" to say sample size is quite ok?

I don't think there is a concrete minimum....its more that the picture becomes clearer over time. Starting with about 200 ABs, you should begin to see if a player is ahead of your expectations or behind.

However, if he's a rookie, then his skills may be growing quickly and so the statistics might not give you an accurate picture of where he is currently.

If you think you've got a good, young player...I would recommend playing him a bit (at least 100+ AB). See how he does. If he does well, then maybe he's ready to contribute. If not, then downsize his role for half a season. Repeat this process a few times.

If the player never seems to click after a few iterations, you need to seriously consider your evaluation of him.

Steve
lephio

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
good answer! and for SP and RP? how many IP?
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
30-50 innings maybe? ERA can get ruined by one bad outing. WHIP and other metrics are a little more consistent.

Steve

Previous Page | Show All |