Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> New Editor   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
KennyTime

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I do have the skill and knowledge in creating the images and layers so that they will line up when layered over one another. I do not have the programming skill. If I knew the language you use to code the engine I could look for info on how to dynamically create the composite pictures. I imagine we would use something along the line of what is described on this page (of course this is for php and you are using c++?)

http://php.net/manual/en/imagick.compositeimage.php

Anyway, got a baby shower going on downstairs so I gotta go play host to the women. Have a good one Steve.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Everything you see is pretty much using PHP. I’ve got a bunch of PNG files and then I use imagettftext to overlay the appropriate city initials on the baseball caps.

Enjoy the baby shower – you’re baby on the way?

Steve
KennyTime

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yes it is my son who will be born in 5-6 weeks! I got the women setup with foods and coffee then went bowling with my brother and stunk it up... 81 and 119 and I made my thumb almost bleed from the bowling ball. Then we did 9 holes of golf, only god knows how many strokes I took out of blackberries and of course I sunk one into the creek and my brother dumped one in the duck pond.

I am soooooore today, but managed to get started with some templates to whip out some samples. I like your art style too, so the other thing I could do is create facial hair, eyes, mouths, hairstyles or whatever you want to fit right onto the sprites you currently use.

Have good one Steve.
tc_ferdzz

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
hey...i know nothing of the programming and art and such...but i got ideas...if ya'll care...

i was thinking...the batter in the picture looks like a lefty to me (i know it's on right shoulder which might indicate a righty but his right hand is right against the bottom therefore...the left hand would go on top of it...making him a lefty)...

my suggestion is...and this would be easy to execute i would think...for the righties...just mirror the picture so that the right handed batters have righties as their pictures...and then for pitchers...take the bat out...put a ball in that hand...(maybe have it lower though so that it looks a bit more natural) and then take his other hand out of his pocket and put a glove on it...and the you can mirror it for those who throw left...
tc_ferdzz

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
i understand the pitcher changes would be a bit harder to implicate...
KennyTime

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I like those ideas. Depending on how far Steve wants to take it, I can create bodies for speedsters, power hitters, glove men etc... just base the body off the highest stat or something. I am making a multi-piece poseable sprite template so once I have the layers done I could whip out an infinite amount of poses and uniforms.

@Steve do you use grey scale png (for skin, hair)then apply the color with code? That is what I am doing right now on the template, but I figured I better ask. I can change it pretty easily.

Later
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
@KennyTime

Hey...congrats on the child. Got two myself (5 yo and 1 1/2 yo)....lots of fun (of course, less time for game development too).

Steve
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Yes, it would be nice to have basic images for batters (left & right handed), pitchers (left & right handed) and coaches/managers. I originally bought the clip art image by Geo Images from Clipartof.com and have toyed with the idea of trying to track down the original artist and see if I can get additional images in that style.

Each player has a height and weight, but I’m not sure we want to stretch or fatten players based on that. I don’t know...depends how it looks though.

I guess there are two ways to go. We could continue along the current lines where we have a player in the team colors with perhaps some custom features: hair color, skin tone, facial hair, limited facial features (because of size) etc. I’m partial to having the uniform colors displayed.

Or if you look at how Hattrick or BuzzerBeater did it, they have primary face shots with more facial features, hair styles, skin tones. Of course, a guy in a baseball cap probably has limited hair styles

Like I said earlier, all the images are pre-made PNG images and I just add the team initials on the cap real-time. The original image was a guy in a light blue uniform.

Steve
KennyTime

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Ahh, well you have done a lot with just 1 pic man! I think we could stick with the system you have already with a few tweaks and it would add a lot of variety still.

So we have the 5 skin colors already, I can grab those colors off the pics.

I can create L/R batter, L/R Pitcher bodies in an ever expanding array of colors/styles like you have already... but I will pump them out as often as I can (will be fast once I have a style the recolors will be a matter of moments to create).

An option to apply logo/mascot to chest or cap with the intials taking the spot they did not choose... I would love a go at redoing the logos as well so they mesh well with the uniforms. This would all be fun for me by the way.

Caps/Heads once I create a template I can whip these out like the uniforms/bodies so I can be making these when I have time as well. So say I make 5 faces x 5 skin colors x 5 hair styles x 5 hair colors x 5 facial hairs x 5 facial hair colors

That = 30 layers in my face template but it also means when I finally make all of the faces we will have 125 unique faces per skin color not counting hair colors. That is a lot to aim for right away...so my plan would be...

To create:
-1 face per skin color. ( I can make more down the road )
-short, med straight, med curly, bald hair, and afro hair styles.
-clean shave, stache, goatee, soul patch, and The Beard facial hair styles
-Basic Uniform with Trim and Highlight (White w/ 2 colors) In 10-15 color combos. ( can make more later )
-Basic Pin Stripes Uniform in 10 different colors. ( I can make more of these but need to set a starting goal )

I think that is everything for now... just need to work on the template some more... I have the basic torso and arms done the arms have 1 color now, but I will add in another when I work on it. The arms and torso have their pin stripe layer, and the torso has a belt with a buckle. I am still a few days off from having the template done then I will start making some samples.

Later.

*If you are interested you can hear my music on my website (it randomly streams my music for free on my homepage, if you don't like a song skip it there are many styles)

my page
4thwarden.com

KennyTime

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Just an update.

I am still developing the template. It is a lot of fun so far and I hope the end result is something you will like as well. I will probably try to recreate the choices you have 1st (uniform color combos) then you can see the direct contrast and decide if it is worth building on.

I am getting close to being done maybe a couple more days. I still need glove/bats/balls/hairstyles/facial hairstyles.

What I have now is arms/legs/torso/hands/feet/headshapesx5/nosesx5/eyecolorx5/pinstripe overlay for sleeve/twotonestripeoverlayforsleeve/battingglovesoverlayforhands/mouthsx4/skincolorx5/haircolorx5

Anyway, slower than I hoped, but I am enjoying the process. Later.

Previous Page | Show All |