Help

Forum >> Help >> Slugger vs Hitter   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
dhoni007

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
What is the difference between both?? I tried googling the terms but both of them sounds the same. Thank you.
curtisp5286

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Hitting is the ability to hit the ball often.

Slugging describes how hard or far someone can hit the ball. This is often called Power.

If a player is a good hitter but not a good slugger, he will probably have a good batting average but will not hit many homeruns.

If a player is a good slugger but not a good hitter, he will probably hit a lot of homeruns but his batting average will be bad.

I hope this helped you out.

Curtis P
Crunchtime

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
There is also a difference between hitting or batting average and slugging percentage in the statistics:

Batting Average: Percentage of the time the batter gets on base due to contacting the ball. Does not take walks or reaching base on an error into account.

Batting Average = Hits / Official At-Bats
i.e. 100 hits / 300 at-bats = .333 batting average.

Slugging percentage: People who hit the ball harder due to having a lot of strength/power have a tendency to put the ball out of the park more often. They also put the ball into the gaps and off the wall more, resulting in extra base hits. Also faster players can turn singles into doubles and doubles into triples. Slugging takes the quality of the hit into account.

Slugging % = (1 x Singles) + (2 x doubles) + (3 x triples) + (4 x home runs)
At Bats

(i.e. this extra base machine)

(55 singles x 1) + (20 doubles x 2) + (15 triples x 3) + (10 home runs x 4) = 200

180 / 300 at bats = .600.

People without much power will tend to have a slugging average closer to their batting average while power hitters and some speedsters will have a slugging % much higher than their batting average. This means that are better at delierving extra base hits.

Updated Saturday, December 21 2013 @ 2:03:22 pm PST
dhoni007

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
So it's basically like slugger is someone who is going to pinch hit aiming for home runs, where as hitter is someone who is going to put the ball in play and try to get some bases. Please correct me if I am wrong.

And also while we are discussing this, in the management tab, I came across "Pinch hit for L/R" and "Hit and Run".

This is my understanding. Pinch Hit is for a sacrifice fly, where as Hit and Run is something similar to Sacrifice bunt. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you.
curtisp5286

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, you have the basic idea. Just remember that a player can be both a good hitter and slugger.

Hit and run is strategy when a player on base takes off running as if he was trying to steal a base but the batter attempts to hit the pitch. This is usually done to confuse the fielders and try to get them out of position to field the ball.

Pinch hit is when a substitute hitter comes into the game to bat. The pinch hit L/R means to have a substitute hitter come in to hit against a left or right handed pitcher.

These things are little bit more technical. I hope my explanation helped.

Curtis P
Crunchtime

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Baseball is a game with low scores. Often games are decided by 1-2 runs. You only get 27 outs to score with. After 3 outs, you have to reset. So scoring runs can be tricky and you have to make the most out of every situation.

Standard theory in baseball for lineups is roughly this:

Batter #1 (The 'lead-off' hitter): This player has high speed most of the time or gets on base very frequently. Rarely has much power.

Batter #2: Very good hitter with good bat control. Get's on base frequently.

Batter #3: Your best hitter. Quite possibly not the batter with the most power however.

Batter #4: ('Cleanup'): Best power hitter / slugger. Usually better hitter than #5.

Batter #5: 2nd best power hitter.

Batters 6-9: Best to worst hitters.

This theory is based on the idea that a batter on 2nd base can usually score if the batter hits a single. A runner on 1st can usually score if a batter hits a double. With this in mind, the lead-off hitter's job is to get on base and get to (steal) 2nd base.

Batter #2 then either has to get on base if Batter #1 fails to get on. If Batter #1 does get on, then Batter 2's role changes. Often you will see Batter 2 bunt (a short ground ball sacrifice meant to advance the runner) Batter 1 to second. This leaves 2 outs to bring Batter 1 home. Those 2 outs happen to be your best two hitters, #3 and #4. This gives you likely the highest possibility of scoring a run.

With #3 being your best hitter, anyone in front of him has a good chance to come home or maybe advance a base. Your best hitter at #3 may be a single machine. He can get on base, draw walks, always seems to be doing something offensive but just doesn't have the power to really drive the ball into the gaps for doubles or put it over the wall.

This is where #4 and the 'slugger' come in. Their job is simple: mash the ball as far and as hard as they can. If you get to #4 with people on base, you want them to come home. Preferably as fast as possible. He may not have the pure batting average to get on base much but when he does hit the ball, good things happen (more doubles, triples and homers, and thus, a higher slugging percentage).

A lot of teams score a higher percentage of runs with their first 4 or 5 guys than the rest of the team. You were correct in the assumption that some guys are meant to get on base and some guys are meant to get them home. Hope this make more sense to you.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Good discussion...not much to add. Just from the Game Manual / Rules:

Game Strategy
- Setting Up Your Batting Order
This describes the desired type of hitter and skills for each slot in the batting order:

1st: The "leadoff" hitter should be a player that gets on base and has speed to get around the bases and score. Usually, they should have good hitting and plate discipline (to draw walks) and speed is also desirable.

2nd: Batting second if similar to the lead off hitter, but may require bat control if you like to bunt or hit and run a lot.

3rd: Usually the "three hole" is the best all around hitter. He should hit for a good average and with power to drive in runs. He should have good hitting and power and plate discipline and batter control don't hurt.

4th: The fourth place hitter is said to be batting "cleanup" because it's considered his job to drive in runs. He usually is a good hitter with power. Getting on base is less important than driving in runs. He should have hitting skills and lots of power.

5th: The fourth through the sixth spots in the batting order are the heart of the order. These hitters usually have similar characteristics, good hitters with power to drive in runs. The fifth spot is usually occupied by the next best power hitter after the clean up spot is filled. He should have hitting skills and power.

6th: The sixth spot, as above, is occupied by the next best power hitter after the fifth spot is filled. He should have some hitting skills and power.

7th: The seventh slot may vary a lot depending on how deep your team is. He's usually the next best remaining hitter, but may not have much power or may hit for power, but not much average. On deeper teams he could still be a pretty good hitter, on weaker teams he's probably not. He should have either some hitting skills or power or a little of both.

8th: The eighth spot is generally a weaker offensive player. He may be a catcher or middle infielder whose primary attribute is his good defensive skills. Hitting and power is desirable, but usually not found here.

9th: Historically the pitcher, being the weakest hitter, would bat ninth. With the designated hitter (DH), the pitcher does not bat, so usually the weakest player bats here. He often has very little hitting skills and no power, although some managers like to employ a player with similar skills to the leadoff hitter in this slot in the batting order.

Steve

Previous Page | Show All |