Help

Forum >> Help >> Higher League Reliever Builds   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
It certainly possibly that Steve decides he over corrected, and things swing back the other way a bit. So many pitchers just completely broken in the last couple seasons, and I feel like Velocity may be a little over powered now.

Its weird to see guys like Pope and Cordero implode. They are great at everything except for Velocity. Seems like there should still be some role for Greg Maddux types.
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Well those types can flourish as SP. The Mayor still gets people out in IV, and Harvey himself had a decent year starting for II. Tombstone (10GS/4QS, 3.70 ERA). But being a lockdown reliever? Seems AI thinks Greg Maddux wouldnt be good at that
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I haven't had much luck with that build as Starters either. I tend to think good seasons like that are more of an aberration then to be expected now-a-days.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Generally, low vel guys are going to give up more hits than high vel guys. Little more reliant on the defense behind them to keep guys off the bases.

The benefit is that they tend to give up fewer HRs. But there are high vel guys out there that are good at limiting HRs. Best of both worlds. That's what the Dinos look for.

We still have JD. He's had a nice career (other than a blip in '55). The build can be effective. But you can't skimp on range behind them.
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Well there are always exceptions, yes. But it seems the probabilities are much lower. I really like it when a player with an unremarkable profile can do well season after season.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Little more reliant on the defense behind them to keep guys off the bases.

This is why I've generally stuck to a smaller park. Haverhill has always had poor range in the outfield, but it hasn't been an issue up until whatever tweak happened a couple seasons back.

Certainly possible the tweak was on OF defense or somewhere else, but whatever happened, it made pure Movement guys a lot less effective.
Geech

San Luis Obispo Turtles
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
How high of a league level are you talking about? Hanyu is having a rough season, but he's had a very nice career with a velocity that topped out at 6. He spent most of his career at LL4, but has pitched as high as legends.

Portillo is another example, albeit with a less dramatic build and less success.
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Well, not sure. Harvey, listed in first example, couldnt relieve in V. Crawford/Valadez were fine in V, but can get no one out in IV. So I am sure theres some variance. Sure, both could just be having terrible seasons, but these arent just seasons with ERA's of 5. So I was asking if perhaps something else was at work.

CoS is always a mystery. There can be some success as SP for whatever reason, but it may be completely useless for a reliever, who knows. There will always be exceptions, just trying to get a grasp on prevailing tendencies.

To answer an earlier comment, normal CF has 18 range, LF 17, RF 14. Ballpark has had same dimensions for 3 seasons, expanding the seating a little last year.

Thank you for the example, Geech. Hanyu would be exactly the type of pitcher I would be talking about. Valadez is very similar but without as high of control (which may make a big difference). But I am talking about 8 Vel or less guys.

Updated Saturday, November 19 2022 @ 1:30:18 am PST
Ced

Denver Broncos
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
8? It is 4 points too low to say yes. So maybe. An 8 would generally need a curveball and control and clutch hidden attribute and not be susceptible to home runs. As you can see, it is a big ask.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Ced is basically describing my whole staff. But I'm not so sure that formula work anymore... Low Velocity seems to translate into a ton of hits now regardless of Movement.

Previous Page | Show All |