Forum >> Help >> What controls stolen bases?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Shockley (17 SPD) is + - 41 singles, 17 BB, 1 HBP - 32 attempts

Hodson (17 SPD) is ++ - 42 singles, 13 BB, - 19 attempts

Murillo (16 SPD) is + - 15 attempts attempts in over 4000 PA's in his entire career. He just refuses to run to 2B?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
There are several factors. Also remember the speed you see can always be off by a point or two.

#1 - Base stealing aggressiveness (hidden trait), how likely they are to try.

#2 - Base stealing skill (possible hidden trait), some guys just seem to be good at it even at lower speeds. I interpret this as how good a jump they can get, and their instincts for when they should attempt a steal.

#3 - Speed (could be off by a point or two)

#4 - Catcher Arm (could be off by a point or two)

#5 - Luck

#5 is always a factor, but you will generally find a guy who is successful will usually be successful in general, while a guy who is bad at it will continually be bad at it. Minors is a good time to find out who has the skill and aggressiveness to steal bases. Speed is only one small factor in stealing bases. Speed is important for other things (like extra base hits, hit & run, bunting, etc.)

Updated Thursday, January 6 2022 @ 10:40:09 pm PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I always tweak my +/- settings until a guy is successful ~66% of the time. Guys who are too aggressive need to be more "-" while guys who never steal but are successful when they do should be more "+".

As guys age they might start failing a lot even though speed looks the same. Speed has probably dropped at the sub-level, but their aggressiveness has remained the same. They still *think* they can steal that base; they haven't realized that they have lost a step.
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 And the fun part, of course, is that hidden aggressiveness stat. Short of looking at their pre-draft stats (which isn’t perfectly reliable, but is better than nothing), there’s no way to tell whether that speedster you just signed is timid once he’s on base.

If you’re just looking at a player’s previous teams or even tendencies in the Minors, don’t bother. A lot of owners will neglect to change a player’s running settings, or and some are known to just outright set them to not run at all.

…Of course, sometimes you miss out on weird guys like this guy doing that. And yes, I am fully aware that I should not have let him run as much as I did…
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Well only having 2-3 guys that even try to steal bases on the team, 32 year old Shockley's speed has declined from 17 to 15 but he's just as good as ever at efficiently stealing bases. Unfortunately my two main guys are 30+. McCann for some reason, seems to have forgotten how to successfully steal, even though he was very good in the low minors at it

Updated Friday, January 7 2022 @ 5:48:39 am PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I only have three guys that try to steal bases. And the only guy who is good at it is 33 years old... :( 2-3 is actually pretty healthy. A lot of teams have less. Note that you are in 2nd in your entire league for SB; you are getting plenty.

Updated Friday, January 7 2022 @ 4:53:43 pm PST
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Thats because the guys that steal do it really well lol

Previous Page | Show All |