Help

Forum >> Help >> Catchers   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Does anyone know what determines a catchers effectiveness in throwing out base stealers? I know it's not just arm...

McCann has logged 63 games at catcher, has a 19 arm, and has thrown out 24-30% of runners (Prep, Rookie ball & Spring). Maybe a lot of it has to do with a pitching staff that cant throw strikes? Not too many pitchers with good velocity?

My guys on the big team, arms 15,16 do about as well (or poorly, if that CS% really sucks lol)
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
He's only played 27 games. That's a small sample. It is a volatile stat.

With C in particular you often need seasons for their true talent to show. Stuff like passed balls can be very chunky.

Displayed skills can be off by 20% of their actual value. His arm may not be 19. I've had some disappointments.

Lefty P hold runners better in general. I've long suspected "hold runners" might be a hidden ability for pitchers. Dawson was very difficult to steal against, tho maybe he was just lucky.
Ced

Denver Broncos
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
4 factors: arm "skill"(which is what it is, you can't train it), throws right, catcher position rating, aggressiveness of the runners to test the guy, but to be the guy, you've got to beat the guy.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I think on the runner side there is "aggressiveness", "stealing skill", and Speed that all factor in.

I've noticed some guys seem to be horrible at stealing regardless of their aggressiveness (so you have to tamp them way down in the settings), while other guys steal at will even though they have low speed and hardly ever try. Its possible that its just one skill and I am conflating the concepts of aggressiveness and stealing skill, but there seems to be a bit more to it that just speed and aggressiveness.
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Well McCann has a 2.2 position rating at C...
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
"Stealing skill" I've always referred to as "jump". The base runner's ability to get a lead and make their break. I suspect this primarily affects frequency of attempts, and that speed skill is the baserunner's main contribution to effectiveness. A player with top-end jump will head to 2nd on first opportunity, and happily try for 3rd on the next.

Big differences in baserunners ability is why you don't want to read too much into small sample size. I'm on a tablet, so can't mouseover. If you go to McCann's player card and mouseover CS% you'll be able to see the attempts and caught #s. Maybe see how many more CS he would have needed to get to 35-40%. Give a sense of the volatility in the data.

Previous Page | Show All |