Forum >> Help >> Finances   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Yes that's your money in the bank.

Yes that theoretically could happen.

But you don't really need to worry about it.

1) Homegrown players rarely get crazy expensive. You build loyalty with them which keeps their salaries down. A low balance could tie your hands a bit when it comes to pricey free agents, but that's rarely a big deal.

2) One of the more significant expenditures is your franchise fee - a levy based on the league you play in, it increases with league level. This is intended to off-set the greater revenues of upper tier teams. The fees are quite small at lower levels.

3) The other expense in your control is your manager. They can be a luxury item, often making more (sometimes double) than your best paid player. It takes some time for this to ramp up; your guy is making the minimum and will be cheap for a while.

The Dinos may have sunk more money into franchise fees than anyone else. We haven't shied away from pricey free agents, and have at various times had the most expensive player in the game under contract. We sunk more than 130 million into McCarty, who I suspect is the best compensated player in BrokenBat history. We regularly crash and burn in the cup, which is an important source of supplemental income.

Despite all that we have 100 million in the bank.

A little note that newer players might find interesting. Once upon a time game attendance was more directly tied to league standing. Slipping from 5th place to 6th place meant game attendance would immediately crash from 20k to 6k. You not only had to bear the insult of being last but the injury of impending financial ruin.

It was hilarious (in a schadenfreude sort of way) when it wasn't you. :)
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Well of course. The Dinosaurs spare no expense to field a great team for their fans! That is interesting about fans, but really that should be tied to W-L and I hope it is haha.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
spare no expense

Haha! Sweat, tears, cash and goats for the altar. Lots of goats.

This line a questioning raises a question of my own. Years back good players would come available because of their salary. Their market was much smaller b/c of the price tag. You could trade some of your cash reserves for a much better chance in the waiver lottery.

2022 was one of the most memorable seasons I played. I had a good team, and Fischer came available. Made a conscious decision to burn some cash and go for promotion.

I don't see many Fischers on waivers anymore. But maybe I'm not looking that hard. Enriquez is Fischer-esque.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Enriquez has been everywhere, man. Even stopped in Novi for a hot minute.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Indeed! It seems to have had an adverse affect on his mental health.

(And thanks for sticking Johnny Cash in my head for the rest of the day).
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Not the worst place to be ;)
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Well this season has been quite the burning ring of fire for the Peppers
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
We had Enriquez for a hot minute. You should be able to pick up some free agents, just don't go crazy with a whole bunch of 3M guys. Its worth getting some feel for your finances. Especially at the end of the season when you are paying, but not earning.
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I think getting those 3M (or at least 2M) guys and not being able to cut them when they sucked helped put a damper on all that lol. Also, some players clearly seem to have value for that, but most of the ones who were cut, at least at this point, seem to be cut because they werent "cutting" it xD. I mean who wouldnt pay the freight for a star? In most cases lol. I dont know how things go at the high levels of this game haha
Ken_Kennilworth

Charleston Hawks
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
added info on franchise fees & taxes

franchise fees are not charged to level 5 or 6 teams...indeed, level 6 teams receive $500k annual in revenue sharing (a subsidy)

level 4 is when franchise fees start, and are $2.5 million per year for that level...don't know the fees for higher level leagues, haven't gotten there.

taxes are assessed on the cash balance at the close of play on Thursday night--before that weeks economic update--the tax is 1% of the cash on hand in excess of $50 million on Thursday pm...so as the OP has cash on hand in the mid-40 millions, he'd have either no or minimal tax, and being level 5, no franchise fee (but no revenue sharing)

Updated Sunday, June 13 2021 @ 3:41:35 pm PDT

Previous Page | Show All |