Help

Forum >> Help >> Rule Question   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
todd

Wellington Phoenix
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I just want to be sure I understand this rule paragraph from the manual. Here's the rule:

"Scouted Skill Values vs. Real Skill Values" -
So are the skill values displayed for each player accurate? Just as in real baseball, where there is some uncertainty about a player's talent level, in Broken Bat there is also built-in uncertainty in displayed skill levels. The visible skill values for each player are an approximation of his current actual skill level and may deviate by up to 20% from it true value for some skills. Additionally, just like in real baseball, as a player plays more games, his displayed skill value will approach his true current skill level. Note, this may result in a player's displayed skill level actually dropping, even though he is receiving regular training and playing time. His skill value is not actually dropping, but because his actual skill level is better known now, a more accurate and lower value is now displayed.

So is that telling me if I have a player who is completely done with their training and experience growth, and who shows 15 Hitting, his actual Hitting skill could actually be anywhere from 12 to 18?
todd

Wellington Phoenix
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
The first half of the paragraph I understand, but from the word "additionally" and on, I get a little confused.
todd

Wellington Phoenix
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
It would certainly help explain why I have a few players with really nice skills showing but who seem to perpetually under perform.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
"his displayed skill value will approach his true current skill level" - the uncertainty is getting smaller.

Steve
todd

Wellington Phoenix
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
So does that mean if I have a 10 yr player who has completely finished his training and experience, that whatever values are displayed for his skills are the true and correct values?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't think so. They are just more accurate. Steve has never told us how accurate. But maybe the guys values are off by up to 10% rather than 20%. Could be more accurate than that, but I've seen old guys I am pretty sure are underrated.
Geech

San Luis Obispo Turtles
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
I personally suspect the displayed values do eventually become totally accurate, but player performance compared to others of a similar skill level can still vary due to the impact of hidden attributes and difference in granularity between displayed skills and effective skills. (i.e. a 16 skill might be anywhere from 15.50 to 16.49)

I don't think we know with certainty, though.
todd

Wellington Phoenix
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Okay. Thanks for the input gang!
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't think we know with certainty, though.

This for sure.

I've seen guys who spent appropriate time in the minors, and still miss their supposed POT by more than 1 level. Maybe they were just WAY overrated by the scouts, but it makes me think that they may also be underrated by the coaching staff.

Previous Page | Show All |