Help

Forum >> Help >> I need help with my team (Again)   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
miszapatos

Manteca Cerdos
V.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Hi guys,

After more than 1 year playing this fantastic game, I have not progress anything on it.

I think I have a good team that I've improved a lot, but I lost more games than I expect.

Could yo give me some help and some advices to improve my team?

Thanks a lot.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
The team looks decent, sometimes its just a bit of tightening up that can make the difference.

Marsh is a bit sub-par behind the plate. His CS% isn't too hot. He is a great hitter. Your gigantic OF makes him less than optimal in the OF, otherwise I would put him in right. DH might be a better fit in your park. LeBlanc has a decent OBP right now, but he seems a bit too unreliable for a DH.

Guys like Murray and Cooley may have difficulty using their power in your park, but that is ok because the park seems suited for some of your other guys. In general, I would prioritize Hitting and BC over Power in your park.

Your SS could have more Range. 14 is kind of on the low side. The 2B also has 14 range, so the aggregate is on the low side for your middle infielders. Better Range in the center will help your pitchers.

The pitching staff is struggling a little bit as a whole, but that may be due to the large field coupled with low range up the middle. The way the math works, your SS and 2B range will actually effect your OF range. Coupled with a below average Catcher, I think your pitchers are actually performing reasonably.

You have some fastball guys, which can sometimes be HR machines, but most of them seem to manage HRs pretty well. Kent and Robinson are a bit on the high side. Kent has been ok since hitting the majors. I would just keep an eye out for him to revert back to his minor league performances.

Did you have this size park last year? Because Robinson's HR numbers last season are pretty unreasonable given your current park size.

Updated Tuesday, December 8 2020 @ 7:36:41 pm PST
miszapatos

Manteca Cerdos
V.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks a lot for your study.

Yes, last year I had the same park. I also think that Robinson have a lot HR coefficient.
Should I cut him?
Should I returm Kent to the minors or keep him in majors?

I belived that my defense was higher than my offensive I thought that was better for my team to play with a large park. But, really I don't know if it was a good idea.
Ken_Kennilworth

Charleston Hawks
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
May i file an amicus brief? Or at least address some stat oriented questions to Rock?

Rock, did you look at the team stats and compare them to those of other teams in the league?

To me, the largest leak may be bases on balls. Manteca is giving up 6 walks per 9 innings, while only getting 3 walks per game. Indeed, most teams in the league give up around 3-4.5 per game. And while Manteca has the fewest home runs allowed in the league, 13, it has the fewest home runs hit, 8 (caused by deep and high outfield walls?)

The batting averages allowed are about the same as other teams, and very good versus right hand batting---and Manteca's batting seems competitive with other teams.

So perhaps pitcher selection should shift towards more emphasis on control?

Also, did you look at Manteca's minor league players? While there are some 14 POT about ready to get called up, they lack hit tools per scouting report---they have good power and range/arm. So perhaps the outfield range issue will resolve, and with large outfields the lack of hit tool will be mitigated.

So should player selection give more weight to hit tool?

Thank you for helping, and understanding I am asking for my new friend, Misazapatos :)

Updated Wednesday, December 9 2020 @ 2:24:12 pm PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I didn't look at minors at all.

It can help to look at your opposition, but that can also sometimes be misleading. If everyone in your league has weak hitting, your hitting might look good when it isn't.

Also, park effects. I'm sure the team HR numbers are being impacted by the park.

Kent seems to be doing ok in your park so far. I don't know that I would cut Kent yet. And if you are keeping him, you minds well keep him in the majors. I generally ignore FIP. Kent had a respectable WHIP last year (mostly because the hitters couldn't make contact against him).

As Ken pointed out, many of your pitchers (including Kent) give up a lot of walks. Walks aren't the end of the world. A walk isn't as dangerous as a hit (thus why I think FIP is overrated). But its still good if you can minimize them. More control would help in general, there are a lot of low control guys on the team. A walk isn't as bad as a hit, but its certainly worse than an out ;)

Robinson's HR numbers are poor, but his WHIP has been surprisingly good. So not saying you should cut him either.

To me, hit tool is always important. I also tend to prioritize BC. But with that ballpark, I think Hitting and BC become even more important.

A big park is less about defense, and more about range, speed, and hitting. If you hit a lot in the air, you probably want closer walls. A large park will give you more extra base hits, but it will do the same for your opponent if they also have speedy guys who hit the ball on the ground. Wall height should be more about GB/FB of you versus your opponents, as well as HR tendencies. If you have poor fielding infielders (relative to the league) Turf can be good. If you hit a lot of ground balls, Turf can be good. If you have a good FPC and hit a lot of flyballs, Turf will be bad. These are just my assumptions based on logic, I can't guarantee that the engine emulates each of these factors exactly.

Updated Wednesday, December 9 2020 @ 4:08:42 pm PST
miszapatos

Manteca Cerdos
V.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks Ken and Rock.
I have some problem to undestand because my English is not so good I'd like, but I think I've understood.
I have some players that could improve these two things.
BC is difficult to improve, because players I have are those I have, and it's difficult to change it now. But I will look for that criteria in the future.
Like Ken said, I have a lot of players in the minors that are asking for an oportunnity in the Mayors, and that is another problem that I have to solve, because I don't want to make many mistakes with the selection.
Brewnoe

Fall River Naughty Dawgs
IV.5

Broken Bat Baseball
piggly wiggly

.. spot raping pork

:pow-wow .. :fiji ...

Beta theha and nm

Brewnoe

Fall River Naughty Dawgs
IV.5

Broken Bat Baseball