Help

Forum >> Help >> Lefty pitcher - At what point should I pull the plug?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Geech

San Luis Obispo Turtles
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
Calderon is a talented left-handed pitcher who may never actually pitch well enough to fill a useful role. He doesn't have a ton of major league innings, but don't let that fool you. He's pitched in a lot of spring training games over the seasons, and his skills are all at or near his scouting report levels already. He may not have more than a handful of SI left to gain. His minor league performance wasn't great, although it may have gotten stronger as he advanced in levels.

The problem I have is that at his current levels of production, he's not really worth a roster slot. I gave him some starts in Cup play to get him some more innings, and they were disastrous. The guy can barely pitch an inning without giving up a run, even against level 5 and 6 teams. I can perhaps use him as a LOOGY, but that's not an especially valuable role. On top of that Agosto is a possibly more promising LHP who could get LOOGY innings instead. Is the guy worth some additional development, or should I pull the plug on the Calderon project?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Calderon looks like the prototypical HR machine. A lefty with lots of Velocity can be a dangerous combination. But really his minor league stats weren't horrible, and he did really well in spring training this season.

His major league and cup numbers are horrible, but he doesn't have a lot of numbers. I'm certain he will get better in the long run. But he probably will never be a superstar.

His vLHB is quite good. I would consider putting him in the LOOGY role. I think its value is overlooked. Granted he will develop a LOT slower in that role, but he is probably better than anything you would pick up in FA. He would take innings away from your other LOOGY, which hurts both of their development, but otherwise it maybe useful to have two...

Ignoring other players on the roster, I would see this guy having value as a LOOGY who can serve as a spot starter against teams that are weak against lefty pitching. It can be nice to have a lefty starter available for some situations. Even if he spends most of his time in LR/LHS.

Previous Page | Show All |