15 Speed
9 Fielding
14 Range
12 Arm
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I'll take Rock's build but with BC and PD reversed. That's been our philosophy since day one. :)
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
The problem with low BC is that they can't make contact. Seems pointless to have power if they just strike out all the time.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
That's a sweeping generalisation. You can argue either way what it best, and it varies on an indivdual basis. The two best hitters in Lancer history cover both options - Soto is closest to my ideal OF build, and he never had any contact issues. Conversely, Ortiz had no Plate Discipline and never drew more than 38 walks, yet hit everything. OPS is about the same but Ortiz has 13 points of AVG, while Soto has 17 points of OBP.

If all else is equal having more guys on base gives you more opportunity to score runs. My rookie season we had a great batting team with a majority of PD>BC guys (excepting Ortiz, Fletcher), and it worked, and I've stuck with it ever since.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Soto's BC isn't that bad. I've never had any luck with guys whose BC is low. They've always been highly unreliable for me. Good PD certainly helps cover for low BC, but I'm not sure its a good trade.

I value BC because I value both OBP and OPS. A walk is great, a hit is better. A walk never scored a runner from 2B. A walk doesn't put the hitter into scoring position.

At the end of the day they are both very valuable. I just think getting hits is more valuable than getting walks.

Also depends on your lineup needs I suppose. If you are trying to fill a top of the order guy, PD all the way. But if its a cleanup hitter (which is the build I was assuming), I would rather have BC. You need to make contact to put it over the fence.

Updated Sunday, October 25 2020 @ 11:33:22 am PDT
patborders

Texarkana Twisters
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
So we're not big on Arm for CFs, eh? How about those outfield assists?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
OAs are nice, but possibly not plentiful enough to be a high priority.

Also, I generally keep pace on OAs with my noodle arm OF. Two possible interpretations:

1) There is too much RND involved so Arm doesn't have enough impact on OAs.

2) My opponents run much more aggressively. Meaning I still get OAs, but I am giving up more extra base hits.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I wouldn't ding a CF for having a nice arm. Its a plus; just not a priority.

Previous Page | Show All |