Help

Forum >> Help >> Bat Control   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Here is another decent article on Bat Control. Again, in real life Bat Control is all about Placement. But if that is what it means in BB, whats all that about avoiding strikeouts and making Contact...?

Yes Bunting is 100% about Placement and 0% about Contact. So that supports the theory. But avoiding Strikeouts is 100% about Contact and 0% about Placement... Why are those two things in the same definition? Its mind boggling...
jamanys

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
for me hitting is the ability to touch (make contact) the ball and bat control it's how good you will hit it. but yes isn't very clear
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
That my belief as well, but then why does the definition say:

ability to make contact with the baseball, especially important for avoiding strike outs

That is completely contrary.
hardhat

Oceanview Woods Grizzlies
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Bat control so highly correlated with strikeouts in this game, that I'm convinced that BC = contact and Hitting = ball placement.

I've ignored the game manual definitions because they aren't much help. As you say, they actually muddle things further.

I've posted my theory before, but it's this:

Bat control = making contact.

Hitting = getting hits.

Under this theory, BC essentially allows the player to "activate" his hitting skills more often because higher BC = more contact, and more contact = more chances to get a hit because the ball is in play, thereby increasing the statistical probability of getting a hit.

Another way of looking at it is that the hitting skill is Everything that happens starting when the ball touches the bat. The quality of contact, etc. The BC skill increases the probability of the ball touching the bat.

Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I think you might be right, but its so counter intuitive. Seems like the real life effects are swapped. It also doesn't explain why Bat Control would have anything to do with Bunting then... Bunting is all about Controlling where the ball goes, not making Contact. Anyone can make Contact with a bunt...

I'm still utterly confused.

If Hitting = BC and BC = Hitting, then I might start putting less priority on BC. Contact is nice, but Placement is king. Where Contact goes versus Eye is a little more up in the air...
Geech

San Luis Obispo Turtles
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
I think hardhat has the right idea, and honestly his explanation seems pretty consistent with the way help page is written. I think trying to map bat control and contact directly onto existing real world philosophies about the actual game of baseball may be barking up the wrong tree.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Hardhat may well be right, but his explanation is definitely not consistent with the way help page is written.

The help page says that Bat Control is important for Bunting. Bunting is all about control, not contact.

The help page also says that Hitting is the ability to hit the ball and put it in play. Which is talking about contact, not control.

The definitions in the manual are contradictory, so its not really possible for any explanation to jive with the manual.

Also, hitting is more about physics than philosophy ;) The factors of control and contact are the physical components of hitting, not some thing philosophical.

Contact, Control, and Eye (decision making) are well known factors. You would expect those to map to Hitting, BC, and PD. Or at the very least BC, Hitting, and PD. I have no clue what they map to in the game. Seems like none of the above.

Updated Tuesday, September 1 2020 @ 6:29:15 pm PDT
Geech

San Luis Obispo Turtles
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
Hardhat's explanation may not obviously square with bunting, but it 100% is consistent with an ability to make contact and avoid strikeouts. When I read hardhat's theory, it basically sounds like a minor expansion and extrapolation of that bit from the manual.

I agree that calling out bunting is less obviously consistent.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
That is why I said the definitions in the manual are contradictory. The definitions in the manual basically say:

Hitting = Contact
Bat Control = Contact + Bunting

So its kind of impossible for someone to give an explanation without at least one thing squares with the manual.

Its also impossible to square with those definitions for this same reason. You'll notice hardhat uses the words "ball is in play" in his definition for Bat Control. The manual defines Hitting with those words.

Basically any explanation we come up with will be 100% consistent with part of the manual definition ;)

Updated Tuesday, September 1 2020 @ 10:16:49 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Here is a nice example of a player using Bat Control (also known as Hitting in BB) to bunt a double.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZth29D337A

and another:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CnETAoaLJ4

Even more impressive with Arcia. Tricks the 1B with a bunt/hit. Definitely good bat control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjYIjkccJDM

I used to love hitting against the shift. Especially in highschool ball. Teams always overreacted based on very little information. You pull the ball a couple time in the first at bat, and everyone shifts for your second at bat, which give you a ton of space to hit an easy double :) I never tried doing it with a bunt though. That just genius.

Updated Sunday, September 6 2020 @ 12:46:21 pm PDT

Previous Page | Show All |