Help

Forum >> Help >> Prospect Ranking   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
envican

Hartford Bears
VI.21

Broken Bat Baseball
How much stock do you guys usually put in the "Rating" given to minors prospects? I have a player with a good scouting report but his potential rating and prospect rating are both pretty low so I was just curious about that.

This guy http://brokenbat.org/player/245151

He has a prospect rating of only 44.2 but has "very good" potential

Edit: Found this thread http://brokenbat.org/forum/0/3/6931 which seems to make it sound like the prospect rating is affected a lot by fielding, range, and arm, which also seems to skew SI numbers in general

Updated Monday, August 10 2020 @ 6:35:55 am PDT

Updated Monday, August 10 2020 @ 6:36:04 am PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yep. I pay approximately 0% attention to the prospect rankings.
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 I’m not quite as dismissive of it as Rock, but pretty close.

I pay just enough attention to the ratings to look at the bottom of the list — generally 45.0 and under — and try to figure out why the game is hating on that particular player. I compare that against why I like that particular player enough to have acquired him to begin with.

About ninety-five percent of the time, I then tell the algorithm to bugger off and proceed to ignore it. I’ve got at least one guy who I’m pretty sure was low 40s currently enshrined in my Hall of Fame.
wuggla

Colorado Springs Vultures
VI.28

Broken Bat Baseball
The Minors pages are only place to see ratings of player. I have always tried keeping player above 50% bellow that I cut for new draft or waiver claim.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I wouldn't recommend that approach. You could be cutting a fabulous corner OF, C, or 1B just because they don't have a lot of defensive stats (which don't matter much for those positions. Or a really strong RP just because he doesn't have a ton of stamina and defensive stats (which don't matter much for RP). The AI ranking algorithm is very simple. It just looks at the total SI for the player. That isn't a really good way to judge your players.
envican

Hartford Bears
VI.21

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for this discussion, helps a lot

Previous Page | Show All |