Help

Forum >> Help >> Fielding statistics analysis   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Amhaja

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
So after another frustrating set of defeats, I turn back to trying to analyse where im going wrong. Where the small gain is that can be made. Where the important cog is that isn't quite turning as smoothly as the others.

I see we're equally poor at runs scored as runs conceded however we seem further from the average in runs conceded...

So, what on earth do the fielding stats refer to and are they actually that important? They all seem so similar so not like batting/ pitching etc. Anything I should be looking for?

Or does fielding play less of a role and if it's up it'll be caught; if it's down you may be ran out etc therefore it all comes down to pitcher v batter??

Your thoughts would be appreciated

Joe
timothy

West Fargo Turtles
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
The fielding stats on your Statistics page will give you an indication as to whether a certain player is making too many errors. I don't know what others think a good cut-off point would be. For me, I would say that fielding percentage below .970 at one of the four infield positions or three outfield positions would make me question whether there were too many errors.

What's not measured in that statistic, though, is how many plays the defenders are making because they have superior range or how many balls they are just not getting to at all (and are thus ruled hits and not errors) because their range is lacking.
Amhaja

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks Timothy :)
Yeah it doesn't seem that useful to me then
hurstdm

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Defense is important. But baseball defensive statistics are notoriously difficult to interpret and use. They tend to sort of say one thing, but mean another. Especially true in Broken Bat where even Steve has admitted in the forums that the nuts and bolts of the defense model in the code might not be too sophisticated.
tamale

Concord Jets
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I agree with timothy and hurstdm. In BB, I guess the only stat that might indicate at overall team range is double plays. If I understand it correctly, whether any fielder reaches the ball is based on some weighted combination of the range of the entire team, regardless of where the ball goes. So more overall range implies more fielded balls, so possibly more DPs turned. But the correlation is probably too weak to be worth noticing, because too many other factors affect DPs (your pitcher GB/FB, your infielder arms, runner speed, whether guys get on in the first place, etc.)

Otherwise, there's always ERA-FIP, but any conclusion from that will be mixed up with luck.
Amhaja

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Ok thanks
Appreciate the comments :)
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
ERA-FIP isn't super useful. If your pitcher gives up a lot of hits, their ERA will be higher. People assume that giving up a lot of hits means the defense is falling down on the job, but some pitchers just give up a lot of hits because they are not good. For instance, they might have great control, but no velocity, CoS, or movement. So they don't walk anyone, but they are throwing meatballs. If they are also a ground ball pitcher, they could have a great FIP, despite being a horrible pitcher.

Previous Page | Show All |