Help

Forum >> Help >> Pitcher's box score & GB/FB statistic   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Ken_Kennilworth

Charleston Hawks
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
are Pop up outs, Line outs and non-goundball hits to the outfield included in the FB (flyball) total?

also, are groundball hits through the infield included in GB (groundball)? and doubles/triples are they always FB (what about down the foul line grounders for extra bases)?

my concern is a lot of attention is paid to GB/FB but it may be flawed by omitting certain plays.

Updated Saturday, July 18 2020 @ 3:09:58 pm PDT
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
gb:fb only considers outs. Hits are hits and don’t count.

Line outs are line outs. They don’t count either.

I’m not sure about infield pops.

I appreciate what you are getting at, but it’s not an issue. gb:fb is a good tool.

(PS - if you have doubts, watch a recent promotee. Can easily see what is counted and what isn’t).
Splinter_9

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I think gb/fb is way overrated as an evaluative tool. It tells you how a pitcher goes about his work, not if he's any good at it.
Geech

San Luis Obispo Turtles
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
I think it can help you understand a pitcher's homerun proclivities, though.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Its also useful for hitters, and you can even model your ballpark based off the tendencies of your pitchers and hitters. I don't see how it could be overvalued. Its a very valuable stat.
Splinter_9

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
A high or low gb/fb ratio is not a bad thing in and of itself. It tells you what you need to look for to evaluate the pitcher.

Ground ball pitchers will have a higher batting average against them. But they need to have a higher rate of double plays, and they need to keep extra base hits down.

Flyball pitchers will have more homers against them. But they need to have more strikeouts and keep runners off base also to be successful.

A pitcher can be successful with an extreme rate, high or low. They just need to do other things well. And it differs based on whether the gb/fb ratio is high or low.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
That's right. But knowing the GB/FB is an important part of that equation. That is why it is so valuable. The same for hitters by the way. A high GB/FB isn't necessarily bad for a low power, high contact hitter playing on turf. A low power guy with a low GB/FB is just going to pop up every time.
afreespirit

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Here's an example of the value of GB/FB ratio for evaluating a hitter, Robert Trammell. Great attributes hitting 17 and power 18 and scouting report He can be a great hitter. He can develop into a prolific slugger. I looked at that and thought, "Here's a good power DH."

But it turns out he isn't a power hitter. His career GB/FB is 1.44 and his career total for HR is just 74. So he's back to FA. Lesson learned.

Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Exactly. The guy looks really promising without looking at the GB/FB. For older guys you can really just look at the HR totals. But for young developing players, the GB/FB can help you figure out if they have potential in the long run. I find it to be one of the most useful stats in evaluating players.
timothy

West Fargo Turtles
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
He looks like a good player 2043-2044 to me. Not a lot of home runs, but decent slugging overall and good OBP.

Previous Page | Show All |