Help

Forum >> Help >> Throwing my arms into the air   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Jerbeetwo

Tyler Goldendoodles
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I had hoped I could figure this out by now. I would really appreciate a vet taking a look at my team and my league and see if they can see what I’m doing wrong here. I just don’t think I should be doing this bad. If you would like to take it to a PM I would be fine with that.
Can’t get better in the draft. Look at the history. About 3 for 80 in waiver claims this season. Thought I had a decent team and improved since joining. Moved up one level and now it looks like I’m going right back down.
I think I see the problem (an above average team but no superstars) that just finds a way to lose games. But I am also resigned to believing maybe I am doing something wrong in lineup construction or management settings. So any advice would be appreciated.
Do not get me wrong. I love the game and not leaving. Just want an honest critique.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
The team looks pretty good overall. Sometimes its just a mix of bad luck, and good competition.

One thing I would note. You have a lot of Velocity pitchers. And as a result, you have a lot of HRs against you. Although not really too bad compared to the rest of the league. Most of your own HR hitters look like flyball guys. So you might be better off with taller, closer fences. Although the rest of the league looks similar...

You do have a few guys in that I question.

Camarena has no hitting ability. I'm sure you could find someone better for the OF.

Zapata looks decent, but his range is a bit on the low side for a regular SS role. Carson is a horrible hitter, but probably a better defensive SS. Tough choice there.

"The Beast" East had a great season last year, but I'm skeptical. If he hits the ball he will do great, but making contact seems to be an issue. I'd probably just stick with Camacho on both sides. Unless you play Camacho in LF (in which case you should find someone better to DH).

Your platoons Castillo and Gamez should really be doing better considering they are platooning. Again, I would look for slightly better hitting for OF positions. At the least get solid hitters for the corner OF positions. Gamez does look better than Camarena , so maybe you could use him at CF for now? Also, Mantle should be in RF on both sides.

Vallejo is a good example of a Velocity pitcher. His Control is a bit low which helps compensate a bit for his pitching the ball too fast. I think he probably has value, but he will give up a lot of HRs.

I'm surprise Muse is doing as well as he is. I generally try to get guys who have at least one really strong tool. Muse is a jack of all tools, but master of none. In my experience those guys don't fair well. Seems to be doing fine for you though.

Same with Polák. I avoid guys like that, but he is doing pretty good for you.

Low is giving up a lot of HRs.

Mitchell looks to give up a good amount of HRs.

Staley has suffered a bit with HRs so far, but that happens when guys first come up. He did well in the minors. I'd consider using him as a Starter.

Bowles looks questionable to me. Another guy with no real tools.

Graham is another Velocity (=HRs) guy. Its ok to have some of these guys. But a lot of them is dangerous. I think Graham has more potential then some of the other guys. He could even be Closer material in the future if he can keep the HR total down. Looks like he needs more time to develop though. He completely skipped AAA. I would consider sending him down for this season to try and salvage him.

Johnson is another fastball pitcher. And a slow fastball pitcher at that. His HR total was horrendous with his old team, but he looks to be doing better for you. I think your manager is really rescuing a lot of these guys...

Serra didn't seem to make the jump to LL-V very gracefully. There are always a few guys that fall off when you go up a level. No real tools, giving up a lot of HRs.

Sanchez is an interesting choice for a closer. I don't think I would play him there (yet). He is still young. It would be better to put him at MR so he can get innings. He didn't do great in the minors, but if his CoS keeps growing he could have a really strong tool. On the flip side... LOTS of HRs in both the majors and minors :( Definitely not closer material.

Looking at key stats like OPS and WHIP:

Your team has a pretty low OPS for your division. Getting some better bats in the OF will help. Depending on how rangy your OF ends up being compared to the rest of your division, you may want closer taller walls.

Your WHIP isn't horrible, but you have a lot of pitchers that make me nervous. I could easily see your HR against total rising.

EDIT: Also not sure about Mantle in the long run. Its nice to have a strong arm that can backup at C, so he is probably useful, but he doesn't look like starting OF material to me. Overall your OF could be better at hitting. Camancho is your only OF who shows some promise, and you're platooning him.

Even with my comment on SS, your infield looks pretty tight. You have two reasonable SS options, its just a matter of sacrificing range or offense. But SS is pretty hard to fill perfectly, the rest of the starting infield looks quite good.

Updated Tuesday, July 14 2020 @ 7:15:01 pm PDT
Jerbeetwo

Tyler Goldendoodles
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for spending that much time on my team Rock. I read the forums often and knew you would be the first to respond.
Your assessments line up with mine overall. I know where I would like and need to improve but that’s where my waiver claim bad luck is coming in. I am having a horrible waiver season and from years past I know there won’t be much of anything available going forward until the season flips.
I had been grooming Mantle to be catcher of the future but can’t move Viera off without taking a better player off the field.
I have Sanchez at closer to try to get him into more games for his development. Should I be more worried about innings? I hope to have him starting down the road but need his stamina and velocity to improve. Thus closer for now.
I keep trying to replace East but like his range and speed and just haven’t found the right person yet.
Camarena was just an upgrade over someone else and I look every night for an upgrade over him.
Because I value defense I have only looked at Camacho as a DH and in a platoon with Gallardo in AAA. Gallardo has just been slower to develop. Along with everyone else down there it feels like.
Serra was a good starter when I first got him but has worked his way into someone I try to avoid getting into games now. I will replace him first chance I get but...... 3 for 80.
My best guys from the past Gamez, Moreno, and Bravo are having down years. Maybe that’s all it is. One of those seasons. But my window to move up with these guys is narrowing and I have not been getting much luck in the draft to replace them down the road. One of the reasons I check free agency every night. I also spend my weekends looking at who the legends teams have dropped either before or after they made their draft picks. But that also depends on getting some waiver luck.
I feel like overall my team is better than the rest of the division but I lack the two superstuds that other teams have. Maybe that’s a bigger difference maker than I am acknowledging.
It’s getting late enough in the season now that things probably can’t be reversed so I may have to just chalk this up to bad variance and a bit of misfortune?

Btw....... Muse thew a no hitter today. Lol. But I get what you were saying and agree.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
You could move Viera to DH and put Camacho into LF. That would let you put Mantle at Catcher. Mantle needs a lot of experience at Catcher if you want him to play there regularly in the future. I bet you can find someone on FA who is an improvement over those other guys in the OF.

You'll likely get more innings at LR or MR. At LR they are probably dead innings. So that is the best place to put a guy you want to get innings that you don't yet trust.

I'm not a big fan of his BC, but Gallardo looks like a he has a very good defensive build for a corner OF. If it were me, I would play him in RF and Camancho in LF.

Bravo is aging, but will likely bounce back. Moreno will definitely do better, just off to a bad start, keep him in. Gamez did well in LL-VI, but I don't think he is a good player. I wouldn't expect a lot out of him.

Superstuds can help. But you can also address weaknesses with JAGs. Your OF is hurting your offense (which is current the worst in your division). I would look to get some better bats in the OF (especially the corners). You can value defense, but you need to weigh things differently for each position. Valuing defense over offense for your corner OFs isn't going to help you win games.

Some guys have crazy bad years, some guys have crazy good years. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth ;) If Muse keeps pitching like that, just ride that horse for as long as you can :)

Previous Page | Show All |