Help

Forum >> Help >> SAVE MY TEAM   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
That said, there is nothing wrong with using 30/31 year old guys as filler if you don't have younger guys ready to step in.
jamanys

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yes actually I already look for young player (-28 yo) who I can trust for few years . But I don’t find players who can play un major league for me at this age
JohnnyBoi62

Florissant Falcons
VI.21

Broken Bat Baseball
It sounds like you're moving in the right direction jamanys.

I took over my team in 2041, and I remember wanting to be as competitive as possible that season, even though I knew I was rebuilding.

Like Rock and Seca mentioned, think of the rebuild as like an ongoing project in "continuous improvement". Your job is to field the best team you can, and be selectively looking for those younger guys that are clearly better players that you can bring on board. If you keep doing that you end up with a very strong team that is getting stronger each year. Try not to get attached to anyone over 29-30 on your team, make them earn a spot on this new and improved ball club.

The best time to find already developed starting caliber players is at season flip, but some will always be trickling through waivers here and there as owners free up spots to play the draft lottery.

Honestly the best thing you can do is just keep riding the draft, and since your manager is good at developing players (offense and defense), look for younger guys with good scouting reports and sock them away on your minors roster. Over time they will become your own crop of starters, and it's a beautiful thing when you have in house talent pushing you to promote them to the major league roster every season.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Also don't neglect the low POT guys. There are a LOT of good POT 12s sitting on FA. Some of the POT 11s are good as well. In rare cases (1B, OF, DH, RP) you might even find good guys in the POT 10 range. The more deeply you look, the more overlooked gems you will find.
jamanys

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
ok JohnnyBoi.as they say in france "Patience is a tree whose root is bitter, and whose fruits are very sweet". i'm going to look for a good and very young pitcher for the next round of draft to have time to make him progress.And don't worry Rock. I can spend a lot of time looking for the right one. I looked at all the managers with a minimum of 9s in each stats to find the one that I thought was the best with the comments, no small feat. I don't know if that's supposed to worry me but I even liked it pretty much.thank you again to both of you.
JohnnyBoi62

Florissant Falcons
VI.21

Broken Bat Baseball
Hehe, you like looking through the clusterous mound of webpages consisting of sentences describing managers? Hats off to you buddy :D

The manager selection process is one of the murkiest back alleys of this game in my opinion. No waivers?!? C'mon! I'm going to tip toe around but not actually go down that rabbit hole here.

And just to simplify/clarify one more aspect of my advice, I think you're manager would work better for looking for very young players in the draft (non-pitchers). He's better at developing players and defense and not great at developing pitchers.

I think you'd do better looking at pitchers that are already pretty well developed (either free agent market, or maybe like international draft). But the point I made earlier was don't work in absolutes, so
if you're hunting around for players in say the High School pool, but then a young pitcher pops up with a phenomenal scouting report, then go for it.

That does it for me, best of luck!
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
If you like combing through players and learn how to evaluate them well, you will do very well in this game :)
jamanys

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
yes i had completely forgotten that my manager was bad at improving pitchers. thank you for reminding me. and thank you rock but even though i spend a lot of time searching i still don't have the experience to know if the player is really going to perform well. most of the time i sort by note and then look at the stats to see if the player is doing his job with a bat in hand.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
If you are looking at a lot of guys you will continually get better at it. Here are the things I consider:

For minor leaguers:
- minor league stats
- scouting report
- current ratings (look at projected end point)
- POT (mostly just helps bound the projection)

For major leaguers:
same as above plus
- major league stats
- current ballpark and manager (impacts current stats)

Viewing minor league stats for major league players can still be useful because its a level playing field. It more difficult to compare LL-I stats to LL-VI stats, but you can look at the minor league stats to get an idea of each player's relative strengths.

The player development curves are pretty regular, so using the scout reports you can project where they are likely to end up once they have a couple seasons worth of growth.

Be on the look out for guys who seem to consistently play better than their current ratings would indicate. Avoid players who stats are consistently lower than their current ratings would indicate. Viewing stats can help you identify players who are over-rated or have poor hidden variables (like base stealing aggressiveness).

Some useful info:
http://brokenbat.org/forum/0/2/4503
jamanys

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
ok thank you, i'll apply your advices

Previous Page | Show All |