Help

Forum >> Help >> 3B issues   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
@ MukilteoMike,

Ya, think that would be the way to do it.

I reread the Rules.

Arm: strength of a defender's throwing arm, important for completing double plays and for throwing base runners out from behind the plate or the outfield.

Should probably be taken at face value.
Ced

Denver Broncos
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
And aint in no order. Our list at Denvinci Broncos goes something like this:

Need arm
C, 3B, SS, RF, CF

Have some arm but can't play the positions above
LF

Arm don't matta!
1B, 2B

Said many times before by many folks, you'll have more fun in this browser based game if you don't get into mathematics.

Oh yeah, Denvy would rather win every game 8-5 than lose every game 3-1, (we've experienced entire seasons of both) so who cares about D-FENCE *clap clap* D-FENCE (hope NFL season doesn't get cut this year).
wuggla

Colorado Springs Vultures
VI.28

Broken Bat Baseball
Got a 3B today. Now I feel better. 2 errors in 7 games was looking Scarry.
jpnwrt

Logan Pioneers
V.6

Broken Bat Baseball
Found this topic only today, after I was shocked with this player: https://brokenbat.org/player/230701 being recommended in another topic as a potential 3B.
Based on fielders' description in the Help section of the menu, I'd see Cary as an outfielder, even 2B, if I had to. But never 3B! Well, the post was by the Legends owner, so he must know something about the game. And after reading all of the above, I can see he obviously does.
So am I right assuming, that the only thing to look for in 3B is as high as possible Fielding? Of course, with the option to have Arm as well or not to have it - pick the one with Arm. But if you had to drop one of two 3B's - one with Arm 15+ and low Speed, the other with Arm 10 but Speed 15+ (all other attributes comparable)? Am I right assuming you'd drop the former?
Or would it depend on both offensive and defensive qualities of other fielders? For example, if you've got other speedy fielders but are lacking defensive depth, you'd keep the one with Arm. Otherwise the one with speed.
And, I know the topic is - 3B, but is Arm equally not crucial in case of other fielders? SS? Catcher? For example not long ago I let go the catcher with good SI, because I felt 16 Arm may not be good enough for that position, and replaced him with less potential, but Arm 18. I hope it was not a big mistake :)
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
He could be a LF. At 11 fielding and 11 arm I wouldnt put him at 3B except in an emergency and would never put him at 2B. The number of chances a 2B handles each game would make him an error machine. That and he doesnt know the position.

3B: Fielding and Arm. RH throwing. Range can be pretty low. Speed matters not at all for fielding. In fact speed matters little in most aspects of the game, only base stealing and taking the extra base.

16 is acceptable but not great for a C arm. Throwing out base runners is not all arm, either.
jpnwrt

Logan Pioneers
V.6

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for the reply. You are right about 2B. I named it as an option based on Range and solid Fielding, but at this age he would never gain enough of it :)

I wonder about that 16 vs 18 Arm (for C) though. Because my feeling was the same, but only based on Help info - not my experience. In your case, is it based on the analysis of the reports of the BB games?
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
You can see on the player card games started as C by season, and the CS%.

https://brokenbat.org/player/251562

27 games - 18.8%
45 games - 28.6% (which I would feel is about average for him)
92 games - 23.3%
32 games - 33.3%

https://brokenbat.org/player/283249

Arm 19

I have been training him in OF - but he has started some games as C

10 games - 20%
7 games - 50%
27 games - 24%

That is varies like that is what tells me it is a roll and depends on factors, speed, probably whether a left handed or right handed pitcher is on the mound, velocity, etc. Some of most aggressive base stealers try to steal 3B but that seems fairly rare. Its almost always second.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
There was a lot of supposition in this thread. We are always guessing at what is happening inside the engine. I find the best way to play the game is to do what you would in real life.

It can be hard to compare two catchers and make assumptions. A 16 and an 18 could actually be 16.49 and 17.51. Throw in fuzziness, and that 16 might actually have a stronger arm. That is why you need to look at stats when evaluating players. Sure good/bad years can skew stats as well. That is why you want to look at all the information and not get tunnel vision on one particular stat or rating.

In my experience 16 Arm guys are often poor at Catcher. I have carried 16 Arm guys in the past because they had other redeeming qualities (like offensive ability). I expect you will be much happier defensively with the 18 arm guy in the long run. I also wouldn't play the guy listed at 3B. But everyone can prioritize different things and choose to build their team differently. That's why this is such a good game. We all have our own beliefs about what is important, and we get to test them out :)
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
On a side note, sad to see wuggla went inactive.
Geech

San Luis Obispo Turtles
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
I agree, it was shocking to enter the thread and see wuggla inactive. No one can last forever, though. With a cup championship and a season at Legends, they had a solid run if it's over.

Previous Page | Show All |