Help

Forum >> Help >> Any thoughts on the high GDP?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I've been trying to make sense of what I think is a bit of an anomaly this 2045 season. And that is the fact that my team's bats in III.4 had the lowest GB/FB by far, but the highest ground into double play (GDP) numbers, by far.

I can try to make sense of this outcome from a real-life perspective, but I'd rather do that from the perspective of Broken Bat. I've tried to find signs pointing to why this outcome occurred but I'm struggling. How much of it was bad luck, how much of it was aging bats with mediocre power, how much of it was good pitching, and how much good defense?

With the exception of an Orlando or Sioux City, the DP numbers on defense look fairly average to the eye. Interesting that Sioux City gets brought up. I recently complained about them and my abysmal record against them this season. Could it be that my struggles with them this season were due to them constantly turning DP on me? They also had the second-best pitcher GB/FB at 1.31.

I had some aging low Power bats like Thomas, DeJesús, and (especially) Swenson, who struggled with GIDP, though their doubles and HR numbers looked about on-par.

Any further thoughts from anyone on this?
timothy

West Fargo Turtles
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Your team did have the lowest strikeout rate in your division. Only Sedona was close.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@timothy What relation does low batter Ks have to GIDP? Is the assumption that as a result we were making more contact on the ball, and as a natural result, more GIDP?

If that's the case, not sure how much I buy into it. We also had the third most batter walks. We also were nearly in dead last in batter hit total. So as far as three true batter outcomes go—hit, walk, or strikeout—we had nearly the fewest hits, the third most walks, and the least strikeouts.

Is this where I can look to say "my batters got a little unlucky with their hits, with some of that bad luck resulting in an inordinate amount of GIDP"?

EDIT: For giggles, here's H+BB+HBP-K for the league:

oep9Se7.png

Updated Tuesday, June 9 2020 @ 12:10:39 pm PDT
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 As someone who had the third lowest GIDP total in the league despite the second highest GB/FB ratio, I was kind of at the opposite end of this spectrum.

A lot of it seems to have been from Swenson and Thomas — neither being especially fast (and Thomas being anything but, in fact) — both being ground ball guys behind high OBP guys, from the look of your current lineups. Swenson’s lackluster ability at the plate probably didn’t help, either.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
AP: Good points on the speed element, which I missed. If they don't have much power AND can't quickly get to 1B to beat out the DP, then that could indeed be a contributor. And indeed, at 33 and losing traction, Swenson may be finally showing signs of his age. Excellent point.

P.S. Also, Faust was in front of Swenson much of the season. Faust was getting on base, but Faust is slow. Put an aging Swenson behind him and boom, more GIDP.

Updated Tuesday, June 9 2020 @ 12:22:16 pm PDT
Ken_Kennilworth

Charleston Hawks
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
interesting analysis...maybe hit & run to with those players to stay out of dp?

Updated Tuesday, June 9 2020 @ 12:53:22 pm PDT

Previous Page | Show All |