Help

Forum >> Help >> Just a quick sanity check   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Making a quick sanity check to be sure my thinking is straight.

* SP Houser: 4.68 ERA / 2.98 FIP

* SP Yoshi: 4.53 ERA / 3.23 FIP

* CL Romano: 3.93 ERA / 2.06 FIP

* Lowest error total in the league at 35

* Third most double plays turned

* Lowest FIP in the league, second lowest ERA

If I were making errors everywhere, I wouldn't even be typing this out. But we've been solid all year. However, these three pitchers have really been struggling. What almost always seems to happen is the opponent offense in these pitchers' appearances seems to have some ridiculous Hits/LOB numbers. The latest game is a perfect example.

Should I assume that a lot of that is just lucky hits? Why these three particular pitchers? I've never wanted to have the pitcher BABIP stat so badly now. Because without it, I don't have much else to go from. I certainly don't think it's for lack of range in the OF; LF, RF, and CF all have Range of 16.

Should I just assume an abnormally high BABIP on these pitchers and just hope for the best? I'm just so used to having a shoddy defense behind me that I have always assumed that was the culprit. But this case is different.

Updated Thursday, May 14 2020 @ 2:25:34 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I've never considered FIP to be a very valuable metric. It completely ignores hits. In my mind hits are a far bigger indicator for runs than walks or Ks.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Which then makes BABIP all the more important, right? Because it takes into account hits, and it can tell you if those hits are dropping in at unusual rate. Hrm.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I would say so. BABIP doesn't account for HRs though. This is why I like to look at players more wholistically.

Personally I just look at H/IP for that part of the equation. If a guy is doing worse than past years, it might just be bad luck. But some guys just don't have the tools to consistently get outs, so their H/IP is always poor.

Updated Thursday, May 14 2020 @ 4:35:09 pm PDT

Previous Page | Show All |