Help

Forum >> Help >> Pitcher's Pitches   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Alliepixie

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Is there a forum post I can be pointed to, or can anyone fill me in on which Pitches match up with what pitcher attributes? Also can pitchers learn other pitches or are they stuck with the ones on their scouting report? I am thinking they are stuck with only those pitches and if the pitcher has 5 pitches available they wont be all good pitches but since i have no idea what attributes make up each pitch I am working blind.
JohnnyBoi62

Florissant Falcons
VI.21

Broken Bat Baseball
If you're just looking for general knowledge of what makes pitches effective:
fastball: probably velocity (to be fast enough to make people miss), and control (to not put it right down the middle and be a home run machine)
changeup: Change of speeds. probably more effective when the pitcher has good velo (so there is bigger speed delta to throw guys off)
slider/curveball: movement, probably control to not be wild with it and bounce a bunch of pitches all over the place
cutter: it's mainly a fastball with some movement at the end. I bet its a combination of velo and movement
knuckleball: who even knows lol. knuckleball pitches are a different breed even in real baseball. See if they have interesting facial hair in their bio pic, that probably plays a role! (kidding)

you're right, players can't learn new pitches. I've seen detailed discussions about how the pitches a player knows and the skills they have can work for or against each other. I think the order they are listed may even come into it. I don't really apply this to my pitching selection process (too many things to consider already). I think the general school of thought is if you have a pitcher who's first two pitches are fastball and changeup and he has no velocity or control, you're in for a bad day because he's going to walk a lot of people and throw a lot of meatballs for homeruns.

I just focus on the actual pitching stats side of things, but I suppose that makes me late to the game on finding pitching talent if others can infer that from the build and scouting report.
JohnnyBoi62

Florissant Falcons
VI.21

Broken Bat Baseball
Here's a good example of a guy I'm talking about with a terrible matchup of pitches to build (even though he's get a good looking SI):
http://brokenbat.org/player/189259

I picked him up when I was new. 47 for the core pitching skills (velo, COS, movement, and control) is pretty good. He should at least be effective in LL6, but you can see he is by and large not (except for this year, and it's still a small sample size)

he gives up way too many HR. When you look at his skills, he's got tons of COS and good control, but no velo or movement. Then looking at his first 3 pitches depend on him having a good fastball. So his only options when working through batters are to throw it slow, or SLOWER with his changeup. It's not a winning combo long term. You can only dance around the strike zone for so long before batters key in on a guy like this and put it over the fence. A nail in the coffin is he doesn't have a good GB:FB ratio either, so batters tend to lift the ball on him too.

As you can see I'm not very fond of him. He gave up 19 homers for me in less than 100 innings, so i have my reasons :D
Alliepixie

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thank you. I was trying to find a way to tell if my pitchers were throwing effective pitches getting way to many walks from some players. So if say for a sinker he needs vel-mov-con and has minimal movement it would be a wasted pitch then i can watch and see how often he uses it and if it is effective when he does.

As far as hair, no mohawk is all I look for, don't want Wild Thing to play every time he takes the mound.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm pretty sure Steve has told us in the past that the pitches in a guy's repertoire don't have any impact on the game. The simulation doesn't get down to that level.

So basically just look at the raw ratings (CoS, Movement, etc.) and pretend they have the pitches that would align with those skills.
Alliepixie

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Cool Thank you.

There is so much in this forum I can't find it all. One less thing to worry about.

Previous Page | Show All |