Help

Forum >> Help >> Can walks be trained out of pitchers?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Alliepixie

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
My first real season here and I just had a game where my pitching gave up 12 walks and only 1k. I looked and my team as a whole has given up 244 walks in 55 games. The other teams giving up that much are the two teams with worse records than mine. The are bot teams so I don't mind calling them out. What I notice is my Pitcher's control is low. The team that spanked us has high Bat Discipline. So here is my question:

Can I train my pitchers into better control by focusing my training on that attribute. And if it can be done does focusing on that attribute take away from any training they would have picked up that time period from their other attributes. And finally can you increase a player's Control attribute even though the scouting report says will always be wild, or will always have bad control.

Thanks.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Every player has a maximum potential in each rating. A pitcher who has the scouting report "will always be wild" will never have good control.

Putting extra training in Control will help your pitchers maximize their control a little earlier, but they still won't go over their maximum potential.

Its worth noting that ratings and scouting reports can be slightly in accurate. So sometimes player become a little better (or worse) than what the scouts projected. I wouldn't count on it though. If a guy has a low control scout report, he won't ever have high control.

Minors can give you a pretty good view of their future potential. If they are walking a ton of guys in the minors, it is unlikely they will do any better in the majors. If their walk numbers are low in the minors despite having low control numbers, they may be a little better than the ratings show.
Alliepixie

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thank you that makes a lot of sense.

I have a manager that is good at teaching pitching, and if a players numbers will be only what they will be does it matter what the manager does in the development areas? Over the years that manager can only teach to the players potential. Then maybe I should search out a manager with only high Tactics skills even though he can only manage what has been developed?

Does development only train faster to potential or can potential be exceeded by a good manager?
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
That's a good question. There are teams around with 19-20 development on either the pitching or player side. Those teams do tend to show more players at the top end of their potential spectrum.

My personal take is that the caps aren't rising, they are just getting closer to maxing out. But I think it's entirely possible caps are soft, and that a player with a good starting value, good talent, and a good manager can exceed expectations.

PS - walks are really volatile. You have to look at seasons or even careers before you start to see connections to player skills.
Alliepixie

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thank you so much. That actually makes me feel a bit better for the choices I have made starting this season with a manager that teaches pitchers and a focus on pitching, to get 12 walks in one game and get clobbered I was ready to ditch the whole pitching staff. I am calmer now.

Previous Page | Show All |