Help

Forum >> Help >> Switch Hitters   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
todd

Wellington Phoenix
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Just how much stock do the top managers(owners) put into switch hitters? Are they highly coveted? Do they always have less of a LHB/RHB discrepancy, in batting average? I like the fact that I could play them full time; are there any other benefits to having switch hitters?
Ced

Denver Broncos
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Flexibility is almost as important as enthusiasm. Since we can't evaluate the latter in a browser based game, yes, switch hitting means they have the platoon advantage at all times, so that player will have more ABs in my lineup because of the flexibility. And his helmet covers both ears, lolz.

All time hits leader batted switch: Pete Rose. Eddie Murray is up there too.

Updated Friday, May 1 2020 @ 3:01:54 pm PDT
hurstdm

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I agree with the Broncos: Enthusiasm is extremely important. If you don't care, you'll never be good.

I would focus less on the "S" and more on a player's actual split. For example, consider newly acquired Luis San Martin. He's a switch hitter, but over his long league career, he hit 24 points better against left handed pitching. This is backwards from what you'd expect because he seems to be left handed. That's useful information.

For a young switch hitter like Fernando Bautista, his league career is short, so I'd focus right now on his split in the minors. He hit right handed pitchers 28 points better than lefties and I'd expect that to continue, even though he's theoretically right handed. That's useful information.

In Real-Earth baseball, some switch hitters can have substantially more power or a different approach from one side or the other, but my hunch is that Broken Bat doesn't incorporate that kind of thing.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I agree with hurstdm.

Some examples from my own squad:

Carson "The Barbarian" O`Brien hits lefties better. So despite being a switch hitter, I basically consider him a right-handed hitter.

Ted Scanlon hits righties better. So I look at him as a lefty.

Now 20 a point swing isn't so strong, so they both do often play both sides, but that's true of pure righties and lefties as well. Gregg Baird (lefty) and Ki Hun Kyung (righty) have shown smaller splits than either of my switch hitters. So I can basically treat them like switch hitters.

On the flip side, guys like Rafael Miranda have such a strong split it only makes sense to platoon them. I've had switch hitters with splits that crazy too.

End of the day, its better to look at their stats (major or minors) to get an idea how they hit on each side of the plate.
Ced

Denver Broncos
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Beware of the banners at away games that are spraypainted "Librarian". ;) See, with nicknames, always consider a lil bullying before picking one or not! There's always Dick Trickle outta NASCAR who doesn't need one.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Carson "The Barbarian" O`Brien got his nickname due to his first and last name being a combination of Johnny Carson and Conan O'Brien. I considered calling him "Tonight Show" or "Late Night", but his power earned him "The Barbarian" instead.

Goes nicely with Makoto "The Wizard" Matsui, since Makoto Iwamatsu played "the wizard" in the Conan the Barbarian. Up until this season he had been pitching wizardly... :(

Updated Saturday, May 2 2020 @ 10:28:45 pm PDT

Previous Page | Show All |