Help

Forum >> Help >> Platooning   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
michaeltodd2

Paradise Valley Cubs
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I often have a hard time deciding if a player should be in both lineups, RHP and LHP, or should I just line him up against an opposite handed pitcher only. My studs I put in both, but I don't have a lot of studs. I have quite a few potential studs though, people who put up pretty good numbers against opposite handed pitchers, like someone who at the end of the year has 50 runs, 10-14 HR's and 50 RBI, maybe a little less. They usually have a bad average against same handed pitchers, but since most of those have only a small sample of AB's against those same handed pitchers, it's hard to really say? So what kind of...criteria...do other experienced managers use when making these decisions? Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.
michaeltodd2

Paradise Valley Cubs
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Or how much significance do people put in a players minor league stats when it comes to this?

Updated Wednesday, April 22 2020 @ 7:37:25 am PDT
JohnnyBoi62

Florissant Falcons
VI.21

Broken Bat Baseball
Look at their both their split batting stats on their profile page, and what they’re slashing against righties and lefties in the lineup page. It shows hand specific obp and slg on the lineups page.

If you have a high caliber player with a very good or great hitting candidate, that is someone you want to at least give a shot at against both handed pitchers.
michaeltodd2

Paradise Valley Cubs
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Yep, i do that, thanks. But how about a player who doesn't have great hitting, but good BC and PD, with a really good OBP?
JohnnyBoi62

Florissant Falcons
VI.21

Broken Bat Baseball
It's case by case. I suppose if the guy you're referring to was an excellent fielder or base-stealer (to be solid lead off guy), it would warrant giving him a shot.

After you give him a shot just look at how he does long term facing like handed pitchers, and it should play itself out.
hurstdm

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I find platoon differential important, both from minors and major stats. Some Broken Bat guys are very one-sided and some may possibly have a reverse differential.
michaeltodd2

Paradise Valley Cubs
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Hmm...that reverse differential, you don't view that as a statistical outlier or do you think some players are just set up to bat better against a same handed pitcher? When i see a batter with better stats against a SHP i have to wonder if it's just a matter of time before it starts breaking the other way. Thanks for the input.
timothy

West Fargo Turtles
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Oh wow, I didn't realize that was hand-specific OBP and slugging on the lineups pages.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I think minor league stats do a good job of helping you predict how they will do.

Previous Page | Show All |