Help

Forum >> Help >> To Cut or wait and see   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
g10rsh

Champaign Suzumebachi
VI.2

Broken Bat Baseball
My pitcher Charles Hutchinson looked to be a worldbeater when we first drafted him. but so far ERA, FIP, WHIP and most notably HR/10 innings have all been low mediocre to terrible. (50 HR in 331 innings is 15% chance of a hr per inning)

Just wondering what other managers would do in this situation.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I've never been a fan of Fastball/Control pitchers. They tend to give up a lot of HRs (case in point).

That said, he isn't the worst pitcher I've seen. It really depends on the rest of your depth. He could eat up some innings at SP5 if you don't have a lot of depth. His amateur stats are in line with his minor league stats. Looks like a below average pitcher. I think he is what he is now. I don't think he will get better, but he still might be useful in the right situation.
timothy

West Fargo Turtles
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
That's interesting. Even at age 20, he is what he is?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
His ratings will improve as he progresses, but so will his competition. I don't see any indication that he will suddenly start performing better. So I expect his major league stats will be similar to what he is doing in the minors.

He'll give up too many HRs (as seen), too many hits (no real out pitch), and probably boost a 1.600 WHIP. Overall an average pitcher who can eat some innings at the back of the rotation.

I wouldn't necessarily cut him, but I would consider anything lower than 1.600 WHIP (and fewer than 0.15 HR/IP) to be success.
JohnnyBoi62

Florissant Falcons
VI.21

Broken Bat Baseball
And just to take an alternative stance, I like his K:BB ratio and his GB%. He also is a good build in that he has low fielding, range, arm, so his pitching ceiling is higher. That might make him a serviceable arm for you, or possibly moreso.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
There's zero chance I would cut that guy. Worse case scenario is he ends up being a guy who can eat up innings when needed, either starting or out of the bullpen, without destroying your chances. Best case scenario is a starting pitcher you'll be glad to have. BB's engine undervalues velocity, which limits his ceiling considerably. Unfortunately for you/him, that will likely result in excessive homers. Still, provided he gets near his potential, he'll be good enough to be on most teams. Cross your fingers that his control kicks in at some point; his walk numbers are high considering his skills/competition.

Updated Friday, April 17 2020 @ 10:15:38 pm PDT
Hayseed

Hood River Hawks
IV.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I would not cut him.

He looks like he will fulfill his potential and quickly -- 74 si at age 20 and gaining 13 and 12 si each of the last 2 seasons is excellent. I would keep him in the minors this season unless he went 3-4 training periods in a row without adding any more si.

I rely a lot on minor lg stats when evaluating pitching and his don't look good, but not completely terrible. The HRs do really worry me. Yet I find that players with low si for the levels have stats that are a bit depressed (and the opposite is true). His si was a bit low for playing at AA. With his significant gains the last 2 years he is back on track with the level competition. 2044 was not kind to him, but again I would give him a pass for a while longer. Stats are almost always worse when a player jumps up to a new level. I expect his stats to be better this season. Most players have 2 seasons at each level. The 2nd season seems to be more telling of their major lg performance.

I think he will be fine at the back of a rotation. I would be scared to have him play in the pen, because of the homers he coughs up.

Previous Page | Show All |