miszapatos

Manteca Cerdos
V.3

Broken Bat Baseball
:)))
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Hmmm...this seems like a lot of work for the manager. Also, might require a few code changes to avoid this loophole. Broken Bat players are paid so little, now this labor abuse?

Steve
Coolhand

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
hurstdm, you may never be forgiven for this!
hurstdm

Murfreesboro Moo Cows
VI.5

Broken Bat Baseball
Workers of the world, unite!

Hmmm...this seems like a lot of work for the manager. Also, might require a few code changes to avoid this loophole. Broken Bat players are paid so little, now this labor abuse?

Steve's tone is so hard to read! Is this funny or serious?!? We don't really want to avoid this loophole! It's a great loophole. I'm shocked more people aren't abusing the labor! You're right, it's entirely too much work. No one would or should do this.

The easiest (and highly recommended) code fix to slow down any labor abuse would be to have player salaries slowly drop when they're not on a team. Every week they sit in free agency would drop their salary slightly (5-10%?). Clearing waivers with zero claims would drop it slightly. Possibly even having a team drop them in the first place would drop it slightly! If I drop Starling over and over and his salary keeps going down, it'll eventually get low enough where I'll keep him on the roster or somebody else will claim him! He was just too expensive for what I thought he was worth. This method also has the benefit of being realistic and organic.

hurstdm, you may never be forgiven for this!

And yet the players may build a statue to Moo Cow activism on their behalf! Ms. Cow and Curt Flood, hugging it out!

A fair day's wage for a fair day's work!
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Signing bonuses?
Jerbeetwo

Tyler Goldendoodles
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Rock777, hurstdm may never forgive you for this.
Gunnar

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Have all waivers close just before the financial update each week. Sucks to have to wait that long but this eliminates that strategy if that is the goal. I never even thought of using that until I read it here and I like the idea but too lazy to exploit that strategy
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm guilty of using this trick a few times myself, when in times of deep distress for lack of money, or lack of Pitchers

Although I refuse to do it regularly (currently, I will not resign the same players twice in a row), when you are in the higher leagues and your competitors are doing like that.... it's tempting to adapt and forget the good manners

I'd like to see the loophole closed, and I can see two easy ways to do that:
- salary is paid the FIRST TIME at the moment of signing the player, and one more time on Friday's financial update. Call it a Signing bonus.
It will discourage teams from using a revolving door, without affecting the flow of transactions
for teams which are managed in a more traditional way

- you cannot cut for one week players acquired as Free Agents.
it would not apply to Waivers, only direct signs of FAs

I'd like to add that this strategy of playing this game by changing the roster so often, has been made sensible only in recent times
(that's why I mention a "traditional" management)

since the draft reform, most of the new prospects are rushing through the minors and we read here on the forum of many owners having a clog in AAA of players ready to be promoted.
Me too.

in turn, to make room for promising rookies, many veterans were let loose.
Useful, high skilled players, but obviously with higher salaries.
That's why this loophole is now a problem: in the old times the rule was the same, you COULD have done that, but there used to be not that many useful players lying in Free agency as there are now
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm not a big fan of penalizing FA over waivers. I think the signing bonus would be sufficient, as there would no longer be a financial incentive.

I've tried to use a similar trick to expand my roster, but I've been very unsuccessful, as people ended up picking up the POT 11 & 12s that I tried it with. If no one else wants a player, they probably aren't that good. So I think its really just the financials, which can be addressed with just the signing bonus part.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
This is all much ado about nothing.

Previous Page | Show All |