Help

Forum >> Help >> Positions   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
hardhat

Oceanview Woods Grizzlies
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
What's the lowest range you'd accept from a SS?
Ced

Denver Broncos
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
13, but if so, he better be able to do some other things on the diamond.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Probably 15 for me. But same thing, has to be amazing elsewhere to compensate.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Probably 15 for me. But same thing, has to be amazing elsewhere to compensate.
allen54chevy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The lowest range I consider at SS: 18.
Unless he can hit... then 17.

Thats my 2 cents.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Until/unless the game ever changes to show true attempts due to individual stats instead of splattering them across the field, we'll never have any idea. That's why I don't have a hard line on any fielding/range combo. If the dude can hit, he'll play for me. At least I know that's real.
Ken_Kennilworth

Charleston Hawks
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Until/unless the game ever changes to show true attempts due to individual stats instead of splattering them across the field, we'll never have any idea. That's why I don't have a hard line on any fielding/range combo. If the dude can hit, he'll play for me. At least I know that's real.

re: range -- that has been a problem baseball has had with defense until just the last few years...I believe Bill James suggested a solution back in the 70s which might apply to BrokenBat, but it would be impractical without access to game data...to judge a shortstop's range he suggested counting the number/% of ground balls the went into left & center fields for hits...one would need that data for each player in the league to develop norms thus enabling standards to be calculated.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Ken, nothing like that will work here. The game doesn't operate that way. As I understand it, the end conclusion is determined first (hit, out, whatever) and then randomly scattered across the field for a declared play. A put by a shortstop here means nothing about the shortstop, other than he didn't commit an error.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
My understanding is that defensive skills are weighted and averaged across the team. And then things like errors are assigned randomly (hopefully weighted) after the play is determined.

So your SS probably attributes at least twice as much Range to your Team Range as your 1B. Presumably CF, SS, and 2B Range are weighted higher than the corners, which is why I try and keep those ranges high.

MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
In general terms I agree with all of that. We have no idea of the balance or ratios, though. Middle is more important than corner, but we have no idea how much. Same with the outfield. How does the outfield compare to infield for importance? Again, we have no idea.

Previous Page | Show All |