Help

Forum >> Help >> 25 Y/O Minor Leaguers   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
kpheifer

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I have these 4 25 y/o minor players that the site automatically suggests playing at the Major level. However, I personally don't think any of the players are ready to perform at that level. I want to keep my roster structure consistent, so I want 25 major leaguers (11/12 Pitchers and 13/14 Position Players) and 24 prospects (10 Pitchers and 14 Position Players). What should I do? Should I keep in the minors, cut, or bring up these players?

P Rose
P Alexander
P Mendez
3B Wetzel
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Rose will need at least 1.5 more years. I've left guys in the minor through the end of their 26 year and it works out ok. I'm not a big fan of Rose's build, but if you like him, I think he will finish developing.

I'm not a huge fan of Alexander's build either (gives up a few too many HRs), but I think he will develop easily with one more season in the minors.

I think Mendez is actually ready to come up. He is just a horrible pitcher. 87 HRs in 403 IP is a non-starter. I would just cut him.

Wetzel is trickier. Batters improve more slowly in the majors, so its harder to catch up when they are behind. I hate guys with low BC, but Wetzel has actually performed really well in the minors. Minimal speed, power, bat control, yet somehow he has a consistently strong OPS... He looks like the type of guy its worth gambling on. With almost half a year in AAA last season, I would leave him in AAA until at least after spring training of 2046. Possibly a little longer given his slow progress through the minors. He should still gain training as a 26 year old. He also needs a lot more training at 2B to be effective, so extra time in the minors wouldn't hurt.

Updated Sunday, March 29 2020 @ 5:02:30 pm PDT
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Rose looks like a cut to me, but if you wanted to keep him I think he needs to be in AA until the all star break - I base this on the amount of innings he's pitched at AA compared to how many he pitched at A. He'll then be in AAA until the end of minor league games in 2046.

I'd echo Rock's sentiments re Alexander

Also agree re Mendez, he's absolutely ready to go but that HR rate would result in my rage cutting him about the 3rd game of the season

Wetzel, again in AAA until the end of minor league play 2046.
todd

Wellington Phoenix
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
How are you determining whether a player is ready for the majors or not? Number of innings pitched in AAA?

Updated Sunday, March 29 2020 @ 9:09:42 pm PDT
Jerbeetwo

Tyler Goldendoodles
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Mendez is “ready to go”? I don’t see it. Could you guys elaborate why you think so?
Jerbeetwo

Tyler Goldendoodles
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
On a side note I have not yet been able to understand how the game determines who is ready for the major league team. I rarely agree and think the game is a year ahead of me in evaluations. Does the game “know” the player will develop better in the bigs? Am I wrong to disagree and leave a player down in AAA?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I think Steve ratcheted up the AI to be a bit more aggressive. I also feel like the recommendations come a little too quickly now. But that has always been the point (we can decide for ourselves if they are really ready).

Historically I have mostly gone by playing time. If it took 3 years for them to go from A to AA, and three years to go from AA to AAA, they probably need three years in AAA. Most players need at least 1.5 years per level (although I have seen some recently advance in just a year). You can look at performance a little as well, but it can be hard to tell a guy who isn't ready from a guy who will never be ready if you just look at performance. If they have been sitting in AAA for as long as they were in AA and their stats still look bad, it may be time to cut them.

Updated Monday, March 30 2020 @ 6:52:06 pm PDT
Jerbeetwo

Tyler Goldendoodles
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks Rock. It makes me more comfortable that my judgement has been more right than wrong.

Previous Page | Show All |