III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
FWIW, i agree with Seca

I understand it could be just smoke and mirrors but it makes for more fun
miszapatos

Manteca Cerdos
V.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I only have a couple of seasons of gaming experience, but the streaks I've observed from some players indicate to me that there is definitely a hidden factor of around 20-30% that adds or subtracts from player abilities.

Those streaks that players have could not only be the result of chance, but must be the result of a hidden value that adds or subtracts to abilities.
Another thing is that what we know in the game as "Form" is nothing more than a reflection of the player's performance.
Seeing how the players behave, everything seems to indicate that the form does not change if the players do not play, at least it does not improve if an indeterminate number of games do not pass.
That is at least what I have been able to observe.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
It could definitely be the results of random chance. That's how chance works. First you roll a bunch of sixes, then suddenly you hit a streak of ones. It may be a variable or it may be chance. Only Steve knows for sure, and hopefully he never lets the cat out of the bag :)
michaeltodd2

Paradise Valley Cubs
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Yes, regression to the mean, i can kind of see and feel it in Hattrick, playing over a few seasons...but i don't feel it here in Broken Bat. My guy Alvarez, was hot and very hot thru almost the entire first half. This half, he's been cold and very cold most of the time...i keep waiting for it to 'float back' the other way but it doesn't. It's very frustrating, because i can very often predict whether or not i'm going to win with a particular pitcher based on his Form.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Using regression to the mean results in very unrealistic and predictable results. So I'm glad we don't have anything like that in BB. If a guy who should be hitting .300 is hitting .250 for the year, I don't want to "know" he is going to hit .350 for the rest of the year. More realistic that he is just having a down year.
afreespirit

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I believe we do have a regression to the mean in BB. That's from 39 seasons worth of observations.

It can happen with individual players as well as teams. The main pivot points are at 50 games, 80 games and 110 games.

Dirk Kaiser
was 13-1 for the first 50 games this season, then went 0-8 for the next 60. this was largely due to him being very cold during that period. The one game he has won since was a relief appearance. I'm hoping he has now regained a more normal performance level.

If you have a career .250 hitter that hits .330 for the first half of a season, he will almost certainly hit below .200 for last 80 games.
wuggla

Colorado Springs Vultures
VI.28

Broken Bat Baseball
It can happen with individual players as well as teams. The main pivot points are at 50 games, 80 games and 110 games.
I agrees with that. My experience shows the game changes in 50, 80 & 110 both team & player adjust!!!
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Steve has said that we don't and I've had several player that flip-flop +/- .050 in AVG every year. Its pretty hard to explain a .050 back and forth if there is regression to the mean.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
If you have a career .250 hitter that hits .330 for the first half of a season, he will almost certainly hit below .200 for last 80 games.

It is likely that a .250 hitter will start hitting worse just because he has been on a hot streak, but "certainly" is definitely an overstatement. I've had .250 career hitters end a season with .300 AVG, and vice versa.

Updated Saturday, March 14 2020 @ 5:18:03 pm PDT
michaeltodd2

Paradise Valley Cubs
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't understand why this has to be a secret. Wouldn't it be better, generally speaking, that we know the rules and how the game works?

Previous Page | Show All |