Help

Forum >> Help >> When to pull the plug in Level VI?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Ken_Kennilworth

Charleston Hawks
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
The season is coming up on the half way mark, and I trail by 8 games to a strong team leading the division. Two other teams are right with me.

Winning the division seems unlikely. I can't imagine a collapse by the leader, and one team alongside me in the standings is there only because the ace pitcher had a long-time injury.

I have aging vets in majors with 4 minor leaguers recommended to be brought up now, perhaps another 2 before the end of the year.

When to surrender for this year and set up for next year: 1/2 point? all-star break? last month of season? a month before the free agent deadline?

I seem to have slowed/stopped the financial bleeding. If I cut veterans then start losing will attendance fall off, and I revert to financial red ink again?

Updated Friday, February 21 2020 @ 9:30:28 am PST
JohnnyBoi62

Florissant Falcons
VI.21

Broken Bat Baseball
It's a personal decision Ken. I glanced at your roster and $37 MM is still a fairly high payroll for LL VI. $6 MM of that is in two 32 year old players (an NP and Fink, your SP). Take a hard look at whether you want to keep them or not once you do pull the plug. You're fighting a losing battle with them aging wise and payroll wise if you do decide to cash out on this season.

If you can get your total player payroll to the $30 MM range and keep drafting and riding the waiver wire on competitive players, you'll do well enough to make money. I did that for a couple seasons and things are looking up overall now.

By the way if you do decide to release Fink, would you mind sending me a PM? He was drafted as a Falcon and released before my tenure. I'm trying to decide if I should make a move this year in the division race and wouldn't mind a nice storyline of re-signing him!
JohnnyBoi62

Florissant Falcons
VI.21

Broken Bat Baseball
In my past 3 seasons I've pulled the plug on trying to actually win sometime between the all star break and the end of free agency. You want some time to get claims in on younger guys that are getting dropped at the FA cutoff deadline (from teams making a push for championships or to avoid relegation I suppose).
brentswagger

Lakeville Bears
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I think it might be a little early to give up on the season but it is getting close. If I were you and chose to give up I would do so by dropping any high priced guys over 30 and try to build some bankroll because it never hurts to have that sitting around. I generally maintain a bankroll north of $100M but the team I inherited started that way and I have just maintained it.
Ken_Kennilworth

Charleston Hawks
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
thank you for the response...

will email you about Fink...he has been one of the more effective pitchers I've had although I don't have a staff ace

I appreciate the guidance on total payroll...had heard of the $30mill limit, but thought that was only for major league...am paying taxes, so cash is adequate for now...but I will pare off players I added with the idea of making a run at division title this year. Will keep Jung & Griffith another year though...they are my HOF candidates

so the learning continues

thanks again
JohnnyBoi62

Florissant Falcons
VI.21

Broken Bat Baseball
No problem, I looked at your league, and I think you have a shot so stay at it for a while at least. The leader is a bot team and you look better built than the other team chasing them.

I'm averse to all things "cubs" though so maybe that's on me...
brentswagger

Lakeville Bears
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
You have enough funds that you don't have to make cuts to preserve cash. I would see if you can close the gap over the next 25-30 games and go from there. If you are not closing the gap your goal becomes player development for your young guys.
Ken_Kennilworth

Charleston Hawks
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
thank you both for the advice...will do just that

Previous Page | Show All |