Help

Forum >> Help >> Proporcionality stamina/number pitches   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
miszapatos

Manteca Cerdos
VI.6

Broken Bat Baseball
Do you think there are proporcionality between stamina and number of pitches?
I mean a pitcher with 7 of stamina could pitch normally 50% of another pitcher with stamina 14?
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
No. I've seen lots of opinions about calculating the number of pitches. I think a simple middle of the road estimate is something like:

35 + (Stamina x 5) = maximum pitches

Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
The lower the stamina, the quicker the drop in ability in game as they pitch more pitches. But only Steve knows the actual formula. You have to figure out what works for you. You could use the formula above, or come up with your own. But remember, they have a drop off. So an Ace pitcher might be able to stay in for a bit longer, since 50% of his ability might actually equal 75% of some other pitcher's ability.

If you have good relievers, pull your starters earlier. If you have bad relievers, leave them in for longer.
Ken_Kennilworth

Charleston Hawks
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for the info on stamina/pitch count & performance.

On a related note, any thoughts on pitch count/4v5v6 man rotation & injury frequency? (Load management in modern jargon).

From watching real life mlb, it seems 5 man rotation with 90-95 is the standard. Most here seem to go with 5 man, don't know about pitch count but I have had opponents go 150 pitches against me with success.

Updated Thursday, February 20 2020 @ 10:48:33 am PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't know if it has any impact on injury frequency, but be careful about performance. Its unclear how much drop off there really is when you pitch a tired pitcher, but many times you will see a guy with a full fatigue bar is still considered "light fatigued". So its worth considering they may not perform at 100% if their fatigue bar just went to 100% the previous day.
FreddyTheEye

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I set pitchers at 7 pitches per stamina point. 10 stamina = 70 pitches.

It's been noted before that pitchers often don't seem to tire as much as they should / would in real life but it's really hard to say.

Other managers use at least 8 pitches per stamina point. Are they rolling the dice? Hard to say.
Rock makes a good point about reliever strength. I will also tend to raise starters pitch counts if I don't trust my relievers.

I also though Steve may have mentioned once that high pitch counts may lead to an increase in chance of injury... But I might be making that up.
allen54chevy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't have a math formula.
It helps that I make a strong bullpen a top priority for my team so I can error on the low side. It also allows me to run a very low hook on my starters.
I start with 100 pitches and see how they do and then slowly ratchet them up until the low hook rate is consistently pulling them.
If they can't handle 100 pitches then they are in the pen or off the team.
Ken_Kennilworth

Charleston Hawks
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Just had a thought come to me re: determining pitch limit

Do the fatigue bars give a clue about a pitchers limit?

Consider the following hypo: If a starter goes 80 pitches in one outing and his fatigue bar is empty afterward, then wouldn't 80 be his max?

Or if he goes 75 and his fatigue bar is has 1/4 left, then he could go to 100 before he reaches max?

Thoughts anyone?
hurstdm

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I've done so much thinking about this, but don't have a confident answer. One hint from the game is that a pitcher with a stamina of 14+ "will have the stamina to be a starting pitcher". Whatever that means. How many pitches is that?

Previous Page | Show All |