Help

Forum >> Help >> At Bats verses Plate Appearances   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
michaeltodd2

Paradise Valley Cubs
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
What is the difference between plate appearances and at bats? When I check my players Latest Statistics, I see some players with around 40 At Bats and 20 Plate Appearances each, but others have around the same At Bats, 40, but only 3 Plate Appearances. To acquire training/experience, doesn't the game engine require, for batters, Plate Appearances? Can someone enlighten me on this please? Thanks.
afreespirit

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Plate appearances is every at bat that produces a result. So a caught stealing 3rd out is not counted as a PA. The batter would be first up for the next inning.

An at bat does not include walks, sacrifice hits, hit by pitch or reaching on interference. It does include reaching on an error which is recorded as an out for the hitter and batter, but not as out for the inning.

At bats are used to calculate batting average while PA is generally used for on base percentage. There are some exceptions; sacrifices are not counted as PA for determining OBP.

Somewhat paradoxically, a walk with bases loaded that results in a run counts as an RBI but not as an at bat.
Geech

San Luis Obispo Turtles
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
I think the key is that the interval for the latest statistics is not the current training period. The PA shown is for current training period.
michaeltodd2

Paradise Valley Cubs
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Yes, I was wondering why my outfielder Rosenthal has 43 At Bats but only 9 Plate Appearances? I need more Plate Appearances for him if I want to fill up his potential/skill points.

Previous Page | Show All |