Help

Forum >> Help >> Speed ​​and type of pitch   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
miszapatos

Manteca Cerdos
V.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Is there any place where we can collect the dates of the pitches speed and type of pitches in a game more than live visor games?

Is the type of pitch with which a player hits the ball important for the game?
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Tough question. No play-by-play pitch data. The best you can do is look at season trends in strike percentage (ST%) and groundball-flyball (GB/FB), and even that is a bit questionable. In real baseball, we expect a higher ST% to be slightly more indicative of success than lower ST%. However, my personal experience is that in Broken Bat, I've seen pitchers with ST% in the high 50s still be successful. Despite that, if I'm running a tiebreaker between claiming two different pitchers on waiver, I'll go with the pitcher who has a higher ST%. GB/FB is similar in that regard, in that I have a preference for more groundball pitchers, but as an indicator of actually how successful the pitcher will be, GB/FB alone is imperfect.

The closest you're going to get to speed data in particular is looking at the scouting comment for fastball and/or current Velocity. No other pitch speed data that I know of. As for pitch type, us players have slightly varying takes. I forget who, but several people have talked about the order of the pitch types listed on the player profile vs. whether or not the final peak player stats support them. It's a little complicated.

Using this guy I claimed recently as an example, we look at the pitches: Fastball, Slider, Changeup. Most pitchers will show Fastball first, even if the Fastball isn't their best pitch as gauged by Velocity. Regardless, you look at the next pitches and compare them to the stats—or what you project the stats will be—for the pitcher. In this case, the pitcher has high Movement to pair well with the Slider, and he has high Change of Speed, which pairs well with the Changeup. According to some people here, if the pitches match up well with the shown or projected stats, they may be worthy of investing in. However, a guy like this is super questionable. He shows Fastball, Changeup, Cutter, Slider, Curveball. Yes, he has elite Velocity to support the Fastball and Cutter, but his Change of Speed is mediocre (not helping the Changeup) and Movement is abysmal (working against the Slider and Curveball). And so far his track record hasn't been great.

Hope that helps a little.
afreespirit

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
If you look at the stats for Kruger you can see what happens when a pitcher has a combination of high velocity, high control with low CoS and movement. Lots of home runs. 79 hr over 353-1/3 innings is about 2 per 9 innings.
miszapatos

Manteca Cerdos
V.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I apologize for my English first...

Do you think that a batter can take profit of weakness of a type of pitch? I mean, do you think that a outstanding pitcher fastball and curves, can have troubles because one of his types of pitches is horrible?
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball

Do you think that a batter can take profit of weakness of a type of pitch? I mean, do you think that a outstanding pitcher fastball and curves, can have troubles because one of his types of pitches is horrible?

Do I think a batter can take advantage of a pitcher's weakness? I don't know. I have never thought of batters in this game as being "a good fastball hitter" or "a good curveball hitter." I don't think we have that kind of information. Rather than taking advantage of a weakness, I just look at each player as having strengths and weaknesses, typically through their results. For example:

* This pitcher gives up too many home runs.
* This batter can't take a walk.
* This pitcher appears to get a lot of strikeouts.
* This batter hits a lot of doubles.

If an opposing pitcher is prone to giving up home runs, sure, you want your batter who has shown he can hit home runs in there against that pitcher. But to be fair, you likely want that kind of batter in there for every pitcher.

So no, I don't think it's worth speculating too much about if a certain players can take advantage of the weaknesses of others. I simply focus on each player's strengths and weaknesses and make decisions who to keep and play based on those strengths and weaknesses.

EDIT: Y tambien, perdoname. Me aparace que hablas español. Puedo hablar y escribir mas o menos, pero no conozco el vocabulario specifico de beisbol.

Updated Monday, January 20 2020 @ 10:34:58 am PST
miszapatos

Manteca Cerdos
V.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks again for your answer.

What you say I understand, but what I would like to know is if someone has studied or not if a pitcher is much worse in his results because one of his pitches is of much lower quality than the others he has, and precisely in those pitches is when he receives the hits against him.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball

What you say I understand, but what I would like to know is if someone has studied or not if a pitcher is much worse in his results because one of his pitches is of much lower quality than the others he has, and precisely in those pitches is when he receives the hits against him.

The answer is "we can't study that." We don't have that information. We don't know what kind of pitch was thrown when a batter makes contact.

Updated Monday, January 20 2020 @ 12:21:30 pm PST
miszapatos

Manteca Cerdos
V.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Yes, we can.
If you put the viewer pitch-by-pitch it's shown the type of pich and its speed. But I don't know if those dates are invented or the engine of the play throw out those dates with sense.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
No hard data, but I've seen pitchers struggle if they only have one tool (Velocity, Cos, or Movement). Especially if their only tool is Velocity. Those guys tend to give up a lot of HRs. But you can always check out their GB/FB and HR rate in the minors to see what their tendencies are.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball

If you put the viewer pitch-by-pitch it's shown the type of pich and its speed. But I don't know if those dates are invented or the engine of the play throw out those dates with sense.

I've been here for years, and I've never used the "Game Action" page for games. Today I learned it shows pitch-by-pitch action. Thanks for correcting me.

I guess that data isn't collected anywhere for us to look at (in tabular form).

Updated Monday, January 20 2020 @ 5:14:46 pm PST

Previous Page | Show All |