Help

Forum >> Help >> A realistic growth rate?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
JohnnyBoi62

Florissant Falcons
VI.21

Broken Bat Baseball
The craziest growth SI bump I've seen in my limited time happened to one of my rookie pitchers last year:

http://brokenbat.org/player/177713

22 SI in one full rookie year of being a starting pitcher. Pretty crazy. Feeds into the logic of "rookie pitchers can potentially go off once they hit the league level" shared earlier.

It looks like through looking around you've gotten a pretty good understanding of SI growth trends. I would agree on average 4-8 SI a year is "typical/expected". If someone is showing a consistently low growth rate and doesn't have the potential/build/scouting report/minors stats to justify being on the roster, then it's time to start thinking about a cut.

I think there always will and should be some outliers like Quincy. It keeps the game fun to be surprised with a display of growth/talent like that. And it happens in MLB all the time where a small group of guys come out of the woodworks every year and go off.
Ced

Denver Broncos
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
7-9 SI for non-pitchers is normal.

Pitchers 8-14 in the minors. In the majors, 15+ is not unusual if they pitch 80+ innings in a season. I had a +30 SI http://brokenbat.org/player/80224 but he pitched 166 innings and won the ROY award.

Depends on Spring Training usage as well. Play the youngsters only in Spring and don't worry about win-loss.

Updated Friday, November 1 2019 @ 12:35:06 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
My non-pitchers usually grow 4-5 SI per year.
Yuri84

Apple Valley Raccoons
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I definitely think there's something wrong with the development nowadays. A dozen of seasons ago it was extremely rare for players not to reach their potential (usually it only happened if they were too old for their SI from the beginning or if the manager screwed them by early promotion). Now I see more and more underdeveloped players in situations when they were properly managed. Literally all of my players drafted after 2030 stopped growing at 28 y.o, no matter how much playing time they had or how far they were from reaching their full pot. The only one showing some growth was a pitcher I picked up from waivers, but he was seriously underdeveloped anyway and only gained SI for one season and then stopped as well.

I can understand 15 pots not reaching their top, but definitely not properly managed 13 and even 12 pots.

There's bunches of stunted players on the waivers now as well, which means it's a wide-spread issue.

Updated Saturday, November 2 2019 @ 4:38:09 am PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Stunting was always an issue with some of the draft pools. I think it might be more that the fuzziness on the ratings was refined. Most of my players "stunt" but I think some of them are actually just under-rated. So they might actually reach their potential, and just aren't showing it.
tamale

Concord Jets
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I’ve always thought that a gain of 1 point per skill per season is a decent baseline (not including speed/range/arm which are essentially fixed). So that works out to be 5 SI for hitters and 6.75 SI for pitchers. If you have a good manager and good prospects (or play them heavily in spring), you might be able to exceed these rates, but slower growth may be cause for concern
Splinter_9

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Maybe I'm just missing it, but how do you know if a player is stunted? Can you tell what the top development will be based on POT alone? Or is it a combination of POT and starting SI?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I usually use the definition, "if they don't reach their full potential". In other words, they don't make it to the lower bound of their POT range. But like a said with various fuzzinesses, its possible a player reaches their full potential and it just doesn't look like it. So its somewhat fuzzy.

Occasionally you will see a team promote a guy from single A to the majors. These guys almost always stunt; not reaching their full potential. Other times a guy will go through all levels appropriately, and still not reach his POT. Those are the players who are more questionable. I have a LOT of those types on the Halflings.

You can't really judge if a player is stunted until they stop growing (so 32/33 years old). But you can make a well educated guess that a 27 year old POT 13 with 69 SI is stunted. It is highly unlikely that player will reach the bottom of his POT range.

Updated Saturday, November 2 2019 @ 2:34:31 pm PDT
Splinter_9

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
So there's a specific range a player "should" reach based on their POT?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yes. See here for POT ranges:

http://brokenbat.org/forum/0/2/4503

Previous Page | Show All |