Help

Forum >> Help >> Pitching   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
michaeltodd2

Paradise Valley Cubs
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Pitching, oh pitching. Always such a problem for me it seems. Anyway, my pitching staff year after year seems to play below their FIP, or should i say their ERA's are consistently above their FIP. Is there some Management technique that maybe i'm not using, a setting perhaps to squeeze the best out of my pitchers? Any suggestions? Thanks.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Not necessarily a bad thing. Better defenders might help, but having a lot FIP just means they don't walk a lot of guys. If ERA is higher, it usually means they give up a lot of hits. Sometimes its the defenders fault, sometimes its the pitchers fault. Generally a low FIP isn't a bad thing.
michaeltodd2

Paradise Valley Cubs
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I generally try to look for players on the Free Agent/Waiver list with FIP's in the 4's or below. Is there something else in particular that you look for?
Ced

Denver Broncos
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I look at a free agent pitcher with low FIP and high ERA to indicate that his supporting cast on the field and/or the manager just sucked.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I look at K/BB/IP, HR/IP, H/IP, and GB/FB.
michaeltodd2

Paradise Valley Cubs
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
On the GB/FB, what exactly do you look for?
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
For pitchers, I imagine he's looking for a GB/FB of, at a bare minimum, 1.00, though that floor could also be in the 1.10 range too. The logic being that pitchers with a propensity to give up more flyballs than groundballs will have a higher propensity for giving up home runs.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yep. Its worth looking at in combination with HR/IP. I have a few guys with GB/FBs above 1.5. A high GB/FB doesn't necessarily mean fewer HRs, but its a warm fuzzy to see a guy with low HRs allowed who also has a high GB/FB. More likely that he can maintain.
Splinter_9

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Although in real life a ground ball pitcher will always give up more hits than a flyball pitcher. The flyball pitcher just gives up bigger hits.

Flyball pitchers tend be be higher strikeout guys too.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Probably happens here too. But there are other numbers I'm looking at for that. Namely K/BB/IP.

You can choose which ever strategy you prefer, and build your ballpark to support it. If you go with flyball pitchers, I would go with a large park with big foul territory and lower walls. That means OFs with very high range, and more lineball hitters on your own side.

Previous Page | Show All |