Help

Forum >> Help >> First off-season with my team   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Kinthin

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Sup everyone,

Just joined over the weekend.. am trying to get an understanding of how this whole thing works..

If someone or someones would take a look at my roster and see what could be done if anything, I’d appreciate it. Obviously I’ve made some significant minor league signings and waiver claims. I wouldn’t mind hearing thoughts on those pickups who are filling up minors depth.

Should I leave several open spots on my roster for the draft that’s coming up on Friday? And is there anywhere I can find any information regarding the upcoming draft?

I’m confused as to how I handle an injured player. I don’t know where to find the tab to move him off the active roster or what so I stop getting alerts..
Ken_Kennilworth

Charleston Hawks
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Kinthin--

Sup everyone,

Just joined over the weekend.. am trying to get an understanding of how this whole thing works..

Hello and welcome!

If someone or someones would take a look at my roster and see what could be done if anything, I’d appreciate it. Obviously I’ve made some significant minor league signings and waiver claims. I wouldn’t mind hearing thoughts on those pickups who are filling up minors depth.

I took a quick look...you have some very good players (particularly 2 starting pitchers) but a few other bare spots I see...other more sage will undoubtedly offer better advice, so just add my comments to theirs

1 - catcher, you have only one, and they are often injured--try to add another, look for one with +25% caught stealing stat -- a 75% success ratio for a stealer results is break-even per Sabermetrics, so if you throw out more than 25% of the stealers you are winning the battle.

2 - left handed middle/long relief pitcher, you have only 1- try to add another, stamina not important. Most of your pitchers are right handed, so teams will stack their lineup with left handed hitters...a lefty reliever can get you through to the setup guys..i'd allow about 15 pitches per inning, so set the relievers limit at 30-45 pitches for a middle guy, maybe 60 for a long relief.

Should I leave several open spots on my roster for the draft that’s coming up on Friday? And is there anywhere I can find any information regarding the upcoming draft?

I keep at least 1 spot open for drafting, without an open spot you can not even look at players available. Additional open spots are for claims/free agents--its up to you how many to keep open...I only keep a few open at most

I’m confused as to how I handle an injured player. I don’t know where to find the tab to move him off the active roster or what so I stop getting alerts..

if you want to move a player off/onto your major league roster, you do a "reassign". On the roster page, in the lower left corner is a button labeled reassign. It will take you to a page with players name listed and on the right side of pages are drop down menu's. Just move the click the drop down & select AAA from the list to reassign the player...then in the lower left corner of the page, click the Update button so your change is posted/saved into the system.

Thank you for letting me help. I have been here only a few months and others helped me quite a bit...so much that I can never thank them enough...but what I can do is try to help new players as I was helped, and thus honor those who taught me.

Updated Monday, April 6 2020 @ 12:00:38 pm PDT

Updated Monday, April 6 2020 @ 12:02:24 pm PDT
JohnnyBoi62

Florissant Falcons
VI.21

Broken Bat Baseball
Kinthin, some good points by Ken. I'd add to not worry about making a bunch of room for future draft picks. There's no guarantee you'll find them and you're handicapping yourself with a low roster number throughout the whole draft process.

I'd recommend just picking up the best available talent on waivers now and operate between 48-50 guys most of the time. The full draft process takes 8 weeks, so they come in gradually over time. You'll get to evaluate a larger roster # over that time, which puts you at a greater chance of finding keeper players. Just keep a "running cut list" in your head or on paper. Every Friday morning cut the worst guy if you're already at 50 and go see what's on the draft board for that week.
Kinthin

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for the help from both! I chopped my list down to 48, I have some potential waiver claims going on over the next several days.

So there was a weakness in the low minors, and I skewed some of my FA pickups that way. I was able to get a couple decent upper level waiver claims for OF and the aforementioned weak spot at catcher.

How do I know what round of the draft I have jumped in at?

So regarding the alert I was seeing previously, it was for an A Minor’s player, Roger Lentz... how do I stop receiving alerts for him? Or is it just because it’s ST and more players are playing than normal.
JohnnyBoi62

Florissant Falcons
VI.21

Broken Bat Baseball
You'll get to participate in all 8 rounds of the 2045 draft. The first round opens this Friday, and you have 1 week to make a drafting decision. If you don't make a decision you'll miss out on that round and it will proceed to round 2.

Recommend that you check on Friday early, because although you can see 10 players on your board, you can only choose 1 of them, and they could potentially be on someone else's draft board as well. So if you load a board on Friday, can't make up your mind, and come back to check on say Tuesday, some of the better ones could have already have been taken.

I wouldn't worry about the alerts tab too much. It blinks red when you have an injured player or something, or if you don't have your batting or pitching lineups filled in correctly. It displays any alert info in a list at the top. It doesn't self clear after you view it, so if you have a guy hurt for like 14 days it's just going to stay red.
Ken_Kennilworth

Charleston Hawks
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
what I understand about the draft is that is a random draw, first come/first served...you get a list of 10 players presented to you after you click on the draft button / then select your source...you have 20 minutes to decide which player you want...during those 20 minutes no one else can draft any of your 10...after those 20 minutes, those players can be included in anyone else's 10 players to select from a draft...so getting there early on Friday am gets you the largest pool...and over time the good prospects are removed from the pool by being signed, the left-overs go back into the pool and are available for someone else...the 10 players offered are selected by the computer at random...there is no preference to having top players offered in the early rounds...thus, you can be offered a 14 potential or higher in rounds 4,5,6 although the odds getting a high potential player get smaller with each successive round as the talented players get removed from the pool.

Updated Monday, April 6 2020 @ 3:56:22 pm PDT
Kinthin

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Awesome, thanks for all the help!

I’m also assuming it’s better to start off with higher SI and higher POT, while both are a little bit imperfect.

It was definitely eye opening seeing that arguably my best pitcher started off at like 40 SI and is up to 120ish
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
High POT and SI is usually better, but not as important as build and performance. Its worth perusing some of the threads on this thread.

http://brokenbat.org/forum/0/2/4503

But ignore the stuff about drafting since that has changed a bit.
Kinthin

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks Rock!! I’ve been taking a look over the last dayish at some threads..

What do you think of my waiver claims and free agent pick ups?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
They look like improvements over the old team, but you can definitely make more improvements. I would just view many of these guys as stop gaps, rather than prospects. You will continually find better and better prospects as you play the game. Constantly upgrading your team is a big part of the fun.

Noriega doesn't really have the Arm for catcher, or the Hitting for an OF. If he were a true prospect I would leave him down in AAA, but as a stop gap he should be fine.

Toro doesn't have a good enough bat for 1B. No Hitting or Power (and a GB/FB that couldn't make use of Power anyhow).

Gillis is a prospect, but a pretty borderline one. His POT is a big low given how much SI he has in defensive skills. But lefties can't really play any defensive positions.

Lentz is young enough to be a question mark. Outside chance to become a passable 3B/C in the future. A decent if not great prospect.

Rodriguez would be more attractive with better control, but he can probably eat up some innings at the bottom of a rotation. Just expect a lot of walks when he is on the mound.

Finley has kind of low range for OF. Regardless,
he looks like a decent DH prospect if nothing else (still possible to play him in a corner position like LF). Might be worth training him some at 1B. He really should be down in AAA for the next two seasons.

Washburn is a stop gap. I would look for a SS upgrade as soon as possible. Particularly someone with good SS experience (like Washburn), but with better Fielding and Range.

Wiseman looks pretty useless across the board (defensively and offensively).

Guzmán looks ok. Gives up a lot of hits, but other numbers look decent. I'd give him at least half year in AAA to see if he can improve. He has a good build, but seems a little suspect.

Schiller has a decent build, but his stats are pretty bad. Gives up a ton of HRs despite a good GB/FB. The kind of guy you can experiment with when you are first starting out, but I wouldn't expect a lot out of him.

Gonzales doesn't seem to have a pitch tool. Most of his SI is in defense, Control and Stamina. I suspect he will be a dead end.

Cardona will likely have decent CoS and average Movement. His Velocity seems to be pegged at 8. Would expect 8 Velocity as a ceiling. Lower Stamina, decent Control. Build is ok, but stats aren't too impressive (especially K/BB). Has a decent vL/vR split, so might play ok as a LHS.

Overall you've picked up a lot of Lefty pitchers. I would prioritize Righties when possible since they tend to pitch better against the majority of right handed hitters. Having a few lefties in the bullpen is valuable though (especially for LHS). For LHS look for a guy with as big a split as possible.

Its pretty hard to pull a winner out of a hat. You have made progress with the team, and have picked up a couple legitimate (if still gambles) prospects. Just keep at it, and have fun :)

Previous Page | Show All |