Help

Forum >> Help >> What should I do with this team?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
kpheifer

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Currently, I do not know what to do with my team. I don't know how I can improve this team because I am looking to have a successful team within the next few years, yet I don't know how to get to that point. Any thoughts?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Take a look at your performers, and see who isn't doing well. OPS can be a valuable number to look at for hitters. You have some guys on the squad who "will never be a decent hitter". That is a red flag you usually want to avoid. Look for opportunities on the waiver wire to improve at such positions.

Same with pitchers. Identify guys with poor WHIPs. Or guys who give up a lot of HRs. Find upgrades on the waivers/FA.

amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
On the surface you have a reasonable team, and some excellent prospects down on the farm, but let me take a closer look.

First of all, how are your finances? You've got a good game manager in Shannon but really you want to be developing players in LLVI, and at that level it doesn't make sense to pay any manager much more than a basic salary, and $6.65M/season will kill your finances. I'd look for a cheaper manager with better player development ability.

Majors hitters - you want as many 'very good' or better hitters as you can get, and with as much power as you can find. Putting the bat on the ball is arguably the most important aspect of the game. Prioritise Hit and Power, but I'll add additional positional importance below:-

C: You want a good Arm (16+) here, as throwing out base stealers is the most important defensive attribute here. Calvo is fine, Stevenson had the arm but couldn't hit, but Hawkins (who you just picked up) doesn't have the arm at all: he's an OF. Speer also isn't a catcher, he's more of a backup 2B or OF.

1B: Vitale has plate discipline and steals bases and Dawson is a similar player, but neither hit for average or power which is what you want in a 1B. These guys are reserves at best, and could play OF.

2B: You want 15+ Fielding and Range here, ideally. Case has capped out and doesn't have the range (for 2B or OF), he should have been a 3B but he can't hit either way (and $2M is too much to pay for that). Could do better.

3B: You want decent Fielding and Arm here. Parker should have been a 2B with that fielding and range, but again he can't hit - last season was a career year (and outlier), and this season is the other side of the coin, back to his career numbers. I'm not convinced by DeJesus, who looks more of a C/OF.

SS: No issues here, McCracken is an outstanding player.

OF: Range is the most important defensive attribute here, and if you can find it Arm for CF and RF. Beckwith has a little power but can't hit for average, and his range is low - he could play some 1B I guess. Scarborough is a groundball machine, which is a killer for an offence and especially for a guy who can't hit anyway. Kwak looks like a shortstop build, and nobody needs defensive outfielders on their roster - he (again) can't hit. Rowley is more of the same, can't hit.

Overall you have one 15 or better hitter on your majors roster which is BAD. You have a decent amount of doubles and homers for all that, but a .244 average at your level is poor. Get some hitters!

Majors Pitching - avoid pitchers with control issues.

Uribe is okay, not a great track record but I much prefer groundball pitchers like him.
Tate has no out pitch report (fastball or breaking ball), those guys are ten a penny and not much use, he's a cut for me.
Mcwhorter is just okay.
Bianchi looks terrible but the results have been excellent, and for a flyball pitcher his fielders have really helped him out.
Long looks to have maxed out, so he's a cut, results have not been there.
Grasso is another cut, control issue and so he's given up a ton of homers, not good.
Morris frightens me, great stuff but no control, I think if you played him more he'd really hurt you - he's an instant cut for me with that wildness.
Terry is another guy with no out pitch but his results have been okay.
Burge - NO OUT PITCH, given up a ton of homers.
Nishioka is a 10pot. Really? You shouldn't have anyone under 12pot, unless you find an extreme build 11pot. CUT.
Yeager - NO OUT PITCH, control issue! CUT!
Doss looks like a nice pitcher! Really!!

Overall your roster isn't that great. You need more hitters on offense, and better pitching (who doesn't). I think you exceeded expectations with 87 wins last season, this season you're back to where you were.

Minors - make sure you train your prospects at positions that suit their talent. NEVER leave the dropdown box for position prospects blank, you want them playing as many games as they can at their appropriate positions so they're much more defensively ready when they get to the bigs.

AAA

Haugland is a cut, no out pitch and too many homers.
Ramirez is a 10pot, cut.
Gonzales is average but at least he has an out pitch, hold for now - you have plenty of other guys to replace first.
Olivarez is a hold for now, lot of points in fielding though (not good for a pitcher).
Coleman is an 11pot with no out pitch, cut.
ANDERSON IS A PLAYER!! He should be learning 2B or 3B, maybe even SS. Foundation piece.
PICKENS IS A PLAYER!! Both my recently drafted 16pots turned into 15pots (for now anyway). Pickens could play 2B or OF, another foundation piece.
ALVAREZ IS A PLAYER!! Although he lacks range for OF. He'll be a fine 1B.
Guest is a backup 2B who steals bases, low value (groundball machine).
Raymond can't hit, cut.
MIRANDA IS A PLAYER!! I'd train him at SS, could have a 15/18/18 fielding profile as a minimum, which would be huge.

AA

Leger is a cut. Too many points in stamina anad fielding for a 12pot, never mind an 11pot.
Shaw is another borderline prospect, too many points in fielding.
BARR IS A PLAYER!! Fine pitching prospect, little high on the homers thus far but might even out in time.
De Los Santos has too many points in stamina and fielding but that fastball (and some curve) might play at the lower leagues.
McCullough has too many points in fielding for an 11pot, cut.
Caldera is a decent prospect, already knows 3B so I'd train him at 2B - good to have position eligibility options.
Had my eye on Freed (a little), might make a reasonable 2B and he should hit.
Gomez can't hit, he's a cut.
REICHERT IS A PLAYER!! Another very nice prospect, make for an ideal CF/RF.
Fernandez would make a decent 3B, but his bat control and plate discipline are a worry.

A

Alcantar is okay, might work (again, too many points in stamina and fielding skills).
Foster was one of mine! No out pitch, 11pot, I cut him and so should you.
Calvin has nothing, he's a cut.
Fuji doesn't have much either as an 11pot, cut.

Overall, looks like a decent team on the surface but scratch a little deeper and there are some big issues. You have about six outstanding prospects and a lot of fluff, but at least at LLVI you only have one way to go.

Hope this helps, but feel free to ask questions.

Previous Page | Show All |