Help

Forum >> Help >> Minor league Stats   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
michaeltodd2

Paradise Valley Cubs
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
When i look at many players minor league ERA's and WHIP Ratios, i see they average around 4.80 and 1.5 respectively, a rough guestimation. My question is, are these stats meaningful? If i see a player on the waiver wire with a 6 year minor league average of 6.50 ERA and a 2.0 WHIP, should i basically just not bother. Or are the minor league stats kind of meaningless?
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
First, I don't think you'll get a unified answer to your question, so keep that in mind with any responses. That said, my personal opinion is that some pitchers are just "born" homer prone out of the box, for example, and will be doomed to put up lousy numbers. Others seem to think that as a pitcher gains more skills, their minor league numbers will improve, so be patient. There very well may be truth to that, but my philosophy is to find pitchers who can more or less keep their FIP at or below 4.00 over their minor league career and allow preferably fewer than one home run per 10 innings (10 instead of nine because 10 is easy and quick to spot check). (I have a couple of exceptions to this rule recently, one of them being righties who meet the above qualifications but can never get a lefty out; I'll judge them on a case by case basis.)

Of course, you most likely want to give your guys several seasons. However, my hook is a little quicker these days now that we receive some amateur stats. If I draft and bother to keep a pitcher who has some high HR totals and mediocre FIP in amateurs, and he bombs in his first minor league season in similar fashion, I cut him. Not saying they can't improve, but I've been burned by too many of those guys, hoping they improve with more skills but don't.

So, in answer to your question, if a pitcher on the waiver wire has a career 6.00 ERA and the FIP to support it, say over two minor league seasons and the amateurs, no, I would not bother.

Updated Friday, September 27 2019 @ 6:57:02 am PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Definitely worth looking at the stats. And you really want to look over at least a few seasons of data before you can have much confidence. Still unclear how useful the amateur data is, but I too am using it (just slightly less confidence than minors stats).
Splinter_9

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Are stats more important or the AI recommendation.

http://brokenbat.org/player/175710

Gatlin is recommended to be moved down, but he's 23 and has an .839 OPS in AAA. Should I be playing him in AA or should I (as my thinking goes) keep pushing him.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
What happened to 2041?

Players gain training in the minors, and they gain best if they are at the right level. Its more about time than stats. 1 year is probably not enough time in AA, but the year in the majors tosses a monkey wrench into the equation. Hard to tell where he would be better off, but I would probably try and give him more time in AA.

The fact he is doing well in AAA is very encouraging, but he might lack the maturity to play at that level right now. I'd probably listen to your AI coaching staff on this one. At least for this season. Pushing him next year is a good idea given his age.

EDIT: However you are likely to get different opinions from others. I tend to be conservative in player development.

Updated Friday, September 27 2019 @ 3:29:49 pm PDT
Splinter_9

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The computer was running the team in 2040-2041. I just started running the team a month ago.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Or are the minor league stats kind of meaningless?

One thing I try to keep in mind with minor league stats is that the defenses the computer selects are probably really terrible. Not the computer's fault - many minor league position players are learning their position.

For pitchers especially, I try to focus on stats that are within their control. HRs, BBs, Ks. This stuff gets rolled into FIP. So for minor league pitchers in BrokenBat, I see FIP one of the better indicators we have.

It likely affects position players too. Averages and extra base hits likely exaggerated. The effect should be bigger in the lower levels - when players gets to AAA many will have built up some position knowledge. Hitters hitting against better defenses might be part of the reason upper level minor stats sometimes correct.
michaeltodd2

Paradise Valley Cubs
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
That's good info, thanks!
michaeltodd2

Paradise Valley Cubs
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
You know, as many questions as i ask, you'd think my team would be getting better...lo, but i'm still stuck with a ranking in the 600's. I'm excited about my minor league team though.

Previous Page | Show All |