Help

Forum >> Help >> Need help making a cut   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Dunn is a tricky one. Yes normally you would want more power in a 1B/LF, but his horrible GB/RB probably means power would be wasted anyhow. that GB/FB probably won't hurt him given less power. Also, with atrocious fielding, low speed, low arm, low range, and no power report all that SI has to go somewhere. Now being a new player his POT is more unknown. He may turn out to be overrated on POT, or he might turn out with really strong PD and BC.

Probably a cut in the long term, but I think he has more potential upside than Aparicio.

McKenna had nice minor league numbers. I wouldn't cut him yet. Give him some time to show you what he can do in the majors. I would probably claim him if you cut him.
Pig_Cola

Glendale Marshals
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd cut Aparicio because he doesn't have a hitting comment or a fielding comment to deserve a roster spot.
Yankee1219

West Allis Devil Dogs
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Of all, I think I'd let Fierro go as my top choice.

Number two would be Dunbar- age, price, low movement, low Gb/FB ratio, homer prone

Third would be Kepler over McKenna.

Just my two cents, but I have the same problem with finding cuts.
tamale

Concord Jets
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Of your suggestions, I like McKenna and Ramirez. Would definitely keep them. Andrew is OK, and I'd also hang onto Aparicio, who might have a bit of growth left and can at least be a PR/4OF type. Dunn is problematic but I'd give him a bit longer if you're mostly worried about GB/FB, it wasn't so bad in college. Duran's control worries me and of those listed he'd be my choice.

But like a few others I'd look elsewhere. I don't think you need Underwood so he'd be a top candidate for me. I'm also not a big believer in Fierro. Kepler is borderline, but his Ks do intrigue me.

Not an easy decision, but your team is strong enough that I don't think any particular choice will prove too disastrous.

Updated Thursday, July 18 2019 @ 10:42:04 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Why do people think Duran has control issues? The only rating he hasn't grown in is Stamina. Really too early to call growth rates, but he has grown in Control just the same as all his other pitch ratings.
tamale

Concord Jets
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Mostly just the low current value and a personal preference for high control guys. But he also has a lot of scouting comments to fit into a 12POT build. If he's a true 12POT I could see the control settling around 11.

Just for fun I applied the projection system I use for my own prospects to him. It uses a weighted combination of his training history and a guess based on his scouting report, and gave me 14/14/15/10/15/12/10/11. Someone with that build might become useful but I wouldn't bet on it.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
That seems a bit more towards Duran's floor than his ceiling. I could see a move up to 13 pot.

I'm absolutely terrified of guys like Dunn at the moment. Think it's more likely he drops to 11 than maxes out his unscouted skills. Also see some other DH-y types (Aleman?) that he might not coexist with.

The real problem for me is that I count 11 (!) pitchers between the age of 24 and 27. That seems unwieldy to me. I'd be going through those names with a fine toothed comb.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
So many diverse opinions! I appreciate everyone's takes and the fresh sets of eyes looking at players. Just a couple quick comments.

* Underwood stays. I believe in having a MI untility body on the bench. My SS Swenson has already had injury days, and I'd rather have a competent backup SS than not have one. I've always run my team that way.

* Dunbar has dropped off something awful the last five starts. But I'm the stubborn owner who won't cut him until the season is over. Going to move him out of the rotation today, but he stays until the offseason. He's going to retire a lifetime Raven.

* Interesting to hear about Fierro a few times. I was just talking to Seca about him a day or two ago. Figure he ends up at:

14 Vel
16 CoS
14 Mov
16 Cont
and high Fielding

I see potential use as a reliever there, though I see argument that Vel and Mov may be borderline enough to not be useful. Probably not going to ditch him just yet.

* See a couple of mentions on Kepler. I've been worried about him as well. Hrmmm...

* Duran popped a few SI today. Nothing in Movement. I'll do the math now and see if I come up with similar numbers to Tamale.

* I had hoped Aparicio would pull a Ueno and gain enough PD and BC to offset the bad hitting, but it's not shaping up that way. He did gain a point of PD today. But I just don't know if he'll be able to get to useful vs. Lefties. Alas....

* EDIT: And yes, Seca. I have an influx of pitchers. Perhaps wrongly so, I take a "see what sticks" approach with a relatively steady flow of pitchers moving up the ranks. I've been doing that for a while, with mixed results. I'd rather have a backlog of pitchers in this game, making decisions about who stays and who goes. Personal taste, I guess.

Updated Friday, July 19 2019 @ 7:29:42 am PDT
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Now that you've cut Aparicio, it's making me look at my recent #1 Draft pick, who is in his first real season in the majors, and wondering if I'm being stupid playing him. He's P14 instead of P15, has less useful range and arm.

Takeuchi

Clearly my guy is not a real OF with that range. I guess I was thinking he'd be a backup C, since C's get injured so often... Takeuchi already has 10 Hitting with no hitting comment, and I figure he's got at least 7-10 SI left to go... could he be 12/17/14/18? That'd be an additional 10 SI... enough to survive in the majors? He also had a monstrously high-power AAA season, which made me keep him around. Lotta homers in AAA.

Your cut of Aparicio is making me seriously doubt my Takeuchi...

Updated Friday, July 19 2019 @ 12:38:57 pm PDT

Updated Friday, July 19 2019 @ 12:39:57 pm PDT
tamale

Concord Jets
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I had a player whose bat was very similar to your prediction, https://brokenbat.org/player/131557. He was a monster at VI but rarely hit above that level (currently playing in Mexico so likely not true V standard). Your guy runs and is probably a better defender so I’d give it a bit longer to see how he turns out.

Previous Page | Show All |