Help

Forum >> Help >> optimising lineups   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
thecrow98

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
when i edit my lineups i usually but my batter with the most stolen bases first (so if he gets on he usually automatically steals second) then my highest obp guy next followed by two sluggers, after that i put 5-8 in order of ops and but a good hitter at 9 so i can have momentum going to the top of the lineup.

this strategy has been working for me but i'm just wondering if there are any better strategies out there that you guys use.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Assuming your leadoff hitter has good OBP and a reasonable stealing vs. caught percentage, then I think that works. In general, you want your high-OBP guys at the top of the order and your high-SLG guys towards the middle.

In terms of who to bat 9th in the order, traditionally the weakest player bats there (usually the pitcher in the NL). A couple of managers (Is LaRussa right to bat his pitcher in the eight slot?) have experimented with batting the pitcher 8th and then a better hitter 9th in the order for just that reason – to start the offensive momentum for the top of the order. I guess it’s a trade-off between the momentum generate by this tactic versus the fact that the weaker 8th place hitter might get an additional at bat.

Steve
karonfoll

Jeffersonville Crusaders
VI.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I need some advice. I made some change on my team, released the dinosaurs, and filled the slots with younger talents. They are weaker but not significantly in my opinion. Team statistics are not catastrophic, but now my streak is 4-6 (lost 4 from the last 5), and it was 6-4 as average. I now, my bullpen is a weak point, but I really don't understand these huge differences between the efficiency of my previous line-up and the current. Any tips? Thank you!
karonfoll

Jeffersonville Crusaders
VI.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Anyone?
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Sorry, I think we must have missed the first post.

Ten games isn't really enough time to get good read on the quality of your team. Maybe you just had a couple of series with top teams in your league or a couple unfortunate loses.

As far as your bullpen, clearly Whitfield and Cross are struggling. Since they are both lefties, I might shrink their hook and pitch counts so they are limited to facing mostly left handed hitters. Hodges and Seanez have been pretty mediocre; if they don’t improve over time I’d probably look to replace them with a free agent or somebody from the minors (if you’re not in contention). You could also switch them with into less critical roles…maybe swap them with Baez or Gross.

Steve

Previous Page | Show All |