Help

Forum >> Help >> spring training lineup   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Blackbeard

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Agreed, but what if your minor league system is limited and you don't have many young players worth anything. Would it be better to go out and hire a bunch of castoffs and let them play and then get rid of them? If you don't have very many prospects (and I try to only keep the best ones) then you are forced to play your regulars. What benefit do older players get from spring training beside being injured and pretty much run down (very cold and cold)? In that regard then spring training is a waste of time? I only have 2 minor league pitchers so that means my major league pitchers will gain absolutely no benefits from doing spring training? Perhaps there needs to be a way to forfeit spring training and for that matter cup, if a team has no chance or gets no benefit from it?

Updated Thursday, May 30 2019 @ 1:06:27 pm PDT
Garnet

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I see your issue on the pitching side. You really won't get much from spring training for pitchers- 3 pitchers will gain- and you risk injuring your starters.
The rest of your minors team should be played to the max - they are a nice looking bunch.

If I were you, I would go to the waiver wire and put claims on good pitchers under 24. There are several that look good (I have claims on some) that would bolster your minors and give you some control over your future growth. If you don't, you will always be dependent on free agency for pitching, which isn't so bad for a starter or two each year, but beyond that it is a bit risky I think.
Blackbeard

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
It is what it is I guess.

Since I cut 9 old players including old pitchers I still have 9 open spots on the roster.

I have waivers placed on a lot of players but haven't gotten any. The chances of getting any is slim to none. Some of the players have 100+ waivers and the chance of getting one is nonexistent.

So I think I will hire pitchers to fill the spring training roster and then cut them when the season starts... And then hope that I can get a couple descent prospect pitchers in the draft... Not much else one can do.

Thanks for the opinion, I agree.
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@blackbeard I respectfully disagree. Sure, the popular, obvious potential stars have 100+ claims but there are plenty of pitchers between 24-26 y/o who still have 15-20 SI development in their future and are ready for the majors (and spring training) now.

There are plenty of guys like this guy that you should consider putting claims in on. The odds of winning are much better than the 100 claimers, and there are some guys like this who are at 10 claims or less.

https://brokenbat.org/player/191808
Blackbeard

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for the opinions, much appreciated.

Everyday I look for help for my team and every day I put waivers on players. Even marginal ones. Its a fact that the demand for better players in every area of the game is a big part of the game. Thats fine because its a part of the game and I don't have a problem with it.

All I'm saying is that the competition for even marginal players and prospects is very large, meaning that the possibility of landing a player that you put waivers on is slim. Not saying it's impossible just saying it's like playing the lottery and winning the lottery is rare, even here.

A 1 in 20 or 1 in 40 chance and higher are not good odds and I'm sure you would agree with that statement. Again, I'm not complaining just saying. It's a part of the game and myself I don't want a game that is too easy and this one certainly isn't. Thats what makes it attractive.

In my opinion, what difference does it make in the long run if every team has great prospects or its so difficult that only the lucky teams have them? If it was easy to get good players and everyone had the best players then that would change the dynamics of the game play and make tactics, training choices and other managerial decisions more important than pitting 100+ teams against each other all trying to win one good player on the waiver market.

I guess, what I'm saying is that I would prefer a more tactical game with my managerial skills being put to the test against you would be more fun and preferable rather than you being luckier than I am.

I don't know which you would prefer but entering a lottery every season just to try to remain competitive really isn't all that fun and conductive to retaining human managers in a game that contains a lot of bot managers that seem to be better at managing.

Again, not complaining but I have been beaten 3 straight seasons by bot managed teams and thats fine. It just shows that I am lacking in managing lineups and what tactics there may be present. I like this game and i have pretty much accepted that my team will probably remain a division VI team until I no longer play. Thats fine too. Cheers.
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I understand what you're saying, and I agree with some of it. There's less real managerial skill in this game than most folks would like, that's probably true. But there's still some, and I know that despite being here since 2032, I still don't have sharply honed managerial skills. I know this because I can't seem to stick in LL5 for more than a season, and sometimes two. Over the 8 seasons since I joined, I've drafted enough good players and won enough claims that my teams have been respectable, yet still flawed. But the nuance of pitcher management settings, lineup management settings, coach selection, willingness to hunt and peck on waivers for diamonds in the rough when others don't.. they all surely must contribute to fielding a team that moves up the league ranks rather than stays at LL6. And don't sell yourself short. I think its a little luck and some willingness to develop the right players for a few seasons, you should be able to flirt with and make appearances in LL5. I don't think LL6 is *that* difficult to escape from. I think staying out of it is tough part.

Also in my opinion one of the enjoyable parts of this game is that it's a 'long play' game. There's no short and instant gratification here (unless you hit the lottery you describe and win an obvious great 100-claim player, or manage to luckily draft a pot14-15 with an excellent build). Otherwise there's a lot of developing players that other people don't have the patience for, identifying under the radar prospects that others miss, and making the best managerial settings you can learn to make.

Incidentally there's a nice thread about people who have made 1-claim wins on players that have turned out to be stars. Give it a look, it's positive reinforcement that you don't always need luck on the waiver wire.

Waiver and Free Agency Steals Thread

Updated Friday, May 31 2019 @ 11:34:14 am PDT
Blackbeard

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
There was a guy that just got claimed last night from waivers. I forget what his name was but he has to be the best player I have ever seen on waivers.

There were 150 some odd claims. His stats from the previous season was 42 homers, 160 RBI and I think a .317 BA. I think he was in division 4 or 5.

Sure you could say that division 4 or 5 isn't all that good and it's probably true. You would believe that until you saw his skills. If I remember and I may be off by a point. All of his offensive skills, H, BC, PD, P were all mid to high teens with hit being 18 and power like 17. Everything else was mid teens including speed and arm. The only bad stat was his fielding which was 8 and the range was like 10. A perfect DH or even 1B.

Here's the kicker, he was 24 years old, had an SI at 119, Pot at 14 and a $5.75 million salary per year.

Why would someone cut a guy like that? He could probably single handedly elevate a team to the next level he was that good. The only reason that I could see for this guy being cut was that the manager was stupid, didn't know what he was doing or it was a Bot manager that didn't like the almost 6 million salary.

That was a once in a life time player and if I had him and couldn't afford him I would cut half the team just to make a place on the team.

I wish I remembered the name and could see which team out of the 150+ managers that clicked the waiver claim got him. Thats luck for sure and yes, maybe a player like that can be developed because someone did train and develop that one.

Cheers. and thanks for the opinion and thoughts. It's always nice to discuss things... :)

Updated Friday, May 31 2019 @ 3:23:59 pm PDT
nxck98

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I saw him too. His name was Tim Wyatt, a 24 year old SS. Salary may be an issue, but he looked real good.
Longviewess

Frederick Keys
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Salary may have been why Wyatt got released but most of his development was done in the test leagues (the Japanese one based on Wyatt's team history).
Blackbeard

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Doesn't Steve normally delete the test league players? That one looked too good to be true, surprised he was allowed in to regular game play...

Previous Page | Show All |