Help

Forum >> Help >> Where does he best fit?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Personally I'd rather have 14 Range at 2B than SS, but it all depends on the rest of your squad and where he is most likely to actually contribute.
michaeltodd2

Paradise Valley Cubs
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
So that 13 Arm is good enough for 3rd Base i presume?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
The more arm the better, but its all a matter of prioritizing and balancing. Things like DPs are presumably based on some sort of average weighting of the Arm Strength of your infield. Its unclear to me if SS or 3B are more heavily weighted. I would just avoid putting a noddle arm at both spots.
allen54chevy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I find these guys are very versatile, IF they can hit enough to make up for not having a perfect "build".

Two of my favorite players have exactly this make up: DJ who has been my 3B for many seasons and won a gold glove in LL4. I now have Ong who has a more traditional 3B build so I am transitioning DJ to left field to take over for the aging Pak.
Pak is also this same make up and while he is not a Rangy OF like I prefer, his offense has more than made up for it.
I would have played him at 1st where I think this type of build could be great. (An Eric Hosmer type Gold Glove 1st baseman potential.) For Pak he has always been blocked by better Offensive 1Bs that needed to be on the field so they could be in my lineup.

If there were anymore range to work with, say a 16... I'd cross train at 2B to be an off the bench slugger that won't be embarrased at the keystone sack.

In short, I would play at 3B or 1B (even if right hand batter - he could be an awesome platoon guy) and LF should be considered.
BUT all of this relies on his ability to HIT the ball.
Pig_Cola

Glendale Marshals
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd play someone with that build at 2B, but not permanently as that range would affect the team. If you're looking long term, I'd say 1B or 3B.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I have to open my big trap again. Determining a player's "best" position requires looking at your own roster. Projecting need and fit is vital. Training someone at the best theoretical position only to move him later because of a roadblock hurts the player defensively quite a bit.

Yes, he "should" play third. If you intend to play Virgil there, though, which is what I would do, training Tomkins as a 3B is a waste. Virgil looks like a sure thing; Tomkins is iffy at best without a positive hitting comment. I'd find a different, less than ideal, spot for Tomkins. Good management requires more than planning in a vacuum.
allen54chevy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Well said Mike.
michaeltodd2

Paradise Valley Cubs
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I just assume if any of my infielders have a low arm, groom them for 2nd Base...assuming they have the required range and fielding. The stronger the arm, the farther away from 1st base i can start to put them. Is that a correct assumption?

Updated Monday, April 29 2019 @ 10:15:51 pm PDT

Updated Monday, April 29 2019 @ 10:16:27 pm PDT
michaeltodd2

Paradise Valley Cubs
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Also, what's more important for 3rd base, arm or fielding?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I think that is probably fairly controversial, but it doesn't matter how good his arm is if the ball is dribbling through to the OF.

I think Range is the most important for SS, followed by Fielding, followed by Arm.

For 3B, I would take Fielding over Arm over Range. But 3B is still a corner spot, so my defensive requirements are not going to be as high overall for 3B as for SS or 2B.

Previous Page | Show All |