Help

Forum >> Help >> Desperate Need of Help   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Da_Juice

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I knew this team would be bad thee first season but I didn't expect this bad, after only winning 1 game inApril I just don't even know where to start with them. Any advice is appreciated
Geech

San Luis Obispo Turtles
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
My first piece of general advice is to be patient. You can't completely fix a roster over night, but if you keep drafting and searching the waiver wire, you might make enough incremental changes to notice a difference.

Also, I think your roster has too many guys with no hitting report and positive power. A few of those guys can work, especially if they're playing skill positions, but you'll want to try to replace them with guys who have both hitting and power. If you have to give up some power to get a bit more hitting, that might be a worthwhile trade-off.

I would cut Hsieh and move Kang to left field. Hsieh hasn't ever hit in several seasons at level 6, and his skills don't give me confidence that he ever will. With Kang in LF, that opens up DH for you to find room for another decent hitter. If you're not sure who to grab, I cut a guy in Dan Larkin who might be able to give you decent performance for a season or two at League 6. I just ran out of room for him on my roster.

I know you just picked him up as a free agent, but Andrew Stevens is another room for potential improvement. Your first baseman should be a solid offensive performer, and I'm not sure Stevens is going to do it for you on a consistent basis. You would have to win the waiver lottery for him, but someone like Newman might give you a couple of seasons of good performance at first base. He's different type of hitter than what is on your team currently, but that might help you transform your offense.

On the pitching side, I would look to replace Timmons in your rotation. The guy has years of bad performance at level 6. I think you could pick up a free agent or waiver and match or exceed what he gives you. Guys with low movement like him can be really risky, and he has a lot of SI tied up in his defensive stats to boot. All else being equal, a pitcher with 96 SI and lot of defensive ratings will probably be worse at pitching than a dude with 96 SI and low defensive ratings.
Geech

San Luis Obispo Turtles
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
Also, look to change your manager soon. Your current guy is drawing a huge salary while offering across the board 10s. If you can find a manager who helps train your youngsters, that can help you in the long run.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
The first step is to get the defense right. Get guys with the proper skills into the right positions. Helps your pitchers immensely.

You seem to have a very good sense of what is needed at the different positions, and (IMO) have done an excellent job setting up the defense. (Minor quibble that the SS is a little low on fielding).

That step usually goes relatively quickly, as good defensive players are more readily available in free agency than good offfensive players. The next step is to upgrade offensively while trying to maintain a certain standard of defence. As Geech suggested, this step is slower. It requires persistence, checking the waiver list regularly.

When looking for these upgrades, your priority should be hitting skill. It has the strongest influence on offensive output. (the #1 current weakness of your team is low hitting skill): Try to find very good / great hitters with either speed or power (or both :) ) that can field their position.

Along with that, can start to cull the pitching staff. Look for guys with a track record that suggests they aren’t likely to improve. Timmons is a good example. He has a history of giving up HRs. He also has a history of giving up a lot of base runners. This is a bad combination.

Your team has been derelict for a long time. Again, as Greece said, it’s going to take some time and patience to turn it around. Keep expectations from this season low, and try to focus on individual performances instead of team achievements.

PS - I want to commend you on your draft. You have definitely made some good decisions there, and have added some quality building blocks to look forward to.
Da_Juice

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for the advice guys, this season is gonna be a long one
Da_Juice

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Well that must have helps a lot lol, we have now won 9 of our last 11

Edit: Do any of you have a short list of managers that you could send me a pretty average candidate. Struggling to find one

Updated Monday, April 8 2019 @ 8:16:48 pm PDT
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
If you want a manager with excellent player development (ie. hitting) there are a few out there, but otherwise you have a pretty good (and cheap) manager as is.

Previous Page | Show All |