Help

Forum >> Help >> Drafting Frustrations   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
michaeltodd2

Paradise Valley Cubs
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Oh man, drafting a player can be so frustrating. Who to pick, who to pick. I read early on that a good method is to always pick the player with the best potential designation(very good, good, above average and everything else.) So the first thing i do is look for who has a Very Good designation. This week there was only one...it said he had/was a Decent Slugger-Decent Speed-Below Average Fielder-Very Good Potential...so i took him. BUT...there was a few other players that i really wondered if i should have picked otherwise, but they only had the Good Potential and Above Average designation instead of Very Good. The other two i was thinking of picking said... Very Good Hitter-Solid in the Field-Good Potential and Good Hitter-Decent Slugger-Solid in the Field-Above Average Potential. Now i normally always try to draft players with Good Hitting or better, i think that's really important, and if i can get some power with it too that's great. My problem, the one player who had both was designated Above Average, so i didn't pick him, because i was worried i'd end up drafting an 11 potential or something. So i picked the one Very Good Potential. He has a 13 Potential, but i worry about his long term hitting skills, being that he has no positive comments at that position. So i'm not sure exactly what my question is, i just kind of wonder what other experienced managers have to say about these type of....quandry's...in this game that i stink at but that i find challenging and really enjoy so far? Thank you
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
A very Good who can't hit vs a good who can? I take the Good.
allen54chevy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I agree with Haselrig, Hit + good overall > no hit + very good.

BUT if the very good had great fielding and speed and was already trained at SS and was college or Asian I likely would have bit because short is a place of great need for me.

Ultimately though, it looks like this kind of analysis and guesswork may be changing soon as the draft system gets upgraded. I for one am excited to see the new changes Steve posted.
Geech

San Luis Obispo Turtles
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
I agree with these guys in general, but one wrinkle is that scouting reports are not 100% accurate. For example: Ham had no hitting report and got his hitting up to 14 while Jang had good hitting and never got higher than 12. If you've got a player with a lot of POT, all that SI has to go somewhere, so you may have more chance of exceeding the scouting reports.

Updated Friday, April 5 2019 @ 6:09:33 pm PDT
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Frustration is part of the game! I tend to take the "very good" pot every time, mainly because I've seen so few in recent drafts, regardless of reports. I've had good pots who turned out to be 14 POT players, and I've had very goods turn out to be 12 POTs.

But no hit report Miranda was a good pot who turned out to have 14 POT and maxed out.
No hit report Jacobs was a very good who turned out to be a 15 POT (probably 14 POT as he capped low).

I'd much rather gamble on a very good turning into a superstar, when the downside is usually 13 POT. Good pots can be anywhere from 10-14 POT, and more likely the lower end.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
Frustration is part of the game!

Yep. Might even be what makes it great. If you overcome all that frustration and bad breaks and still win something? Nothing better.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd say build it more important than overall potential. But maybe that is because I never get any Very Goods on my boards ;) The real Frustration comes when you get boards full of "Above Average" players in the first round year after year.

Previous Page | Show All |